Chapter 34

Hearing his mate's name from Jordan's mouth was like his words smacking him hard on the head. Krey was so stunned, the shock rippled through his face.

Jordan's lop-sided smirk widened. Krey was always emotionless. Nobody knew what was going on under his marble features. But now, Jordan had rattled him, and he was proud. "Yeah, that's right," Jordan said, taking a step closer to his Alpha. "I know about Pi-"

Jordan's words were squeezed from his throat by Krey's hand. Krey's fingers curled around his neck, and he stormed forward, slamming Jordan's back against the wall hard enough for Jordan to whine.

Krey's eyes turned red, and claws protruded from his fingers, cutting Jordan's neck as he spluttered for breath. Krey's gums ached, but he didn't let his sharp teeth show. "Speak his name again, and I'll rip your fucking throat out." Krey's deep voice was like a growl, low and steady. A warning call for Jordan. With his other hand, Krey shoved the back of Jordan's head against the wall. "How the fuck do you know about him?"

"F-Francis," Jordan breathed. Krey barely let him gasp for breath.

"Don't fucking lie to me." Krey pulled him off the wall and flung him through the room. Jordan fell hard against the wooden floor.

Jordan scurried on hands and knees to the window, rubbing his neck and breathing hard.

Krey slowly followed him, never blinking.

"I'm not lying, Alpha. She told me everything!"

Krey crouched, and Jordan shrank under his fiery glare. Krey's face, shocked only moments earlier, rumbled with the worst storm Jordan had ever seen. Krey could be heartless. Toying with his anger was a mistake.

"Did you beat it from her?"

"No! She's not who you think she is. She makes a crap woman and a jealous Omega. She'll throw you under the bus any chance she gets."

Krey couldn't believe what he was hearing. Francis was the first person he had called a friend because she was kind to him and Pip. She had been there for him, so far, when nobody else cared. "you're full of shit."

"I'm not, Alpha, she told me everything about your mate."

"Like what?"

"That he lives in crescent town, goes to the college, works at Crescent Café, and lives with his aunt and uncle."

Krey couldn't trust Jordan, but now he knew Krey's secret. "You followed me."

"If I followed you, you would have smelt my scent. Did you?"

Krey hadn't smelt Jordan, not once. He didn't want to believe that Francis would spill his secrets, even to the Beta. "When did she tell you?"

"This morning." Jordan sat up.

Krey's head was spinning. Had he carelessly put his trust in Francis?

"Alpha, you'll be wise to start including me and treating me like your Beta. Otherwise your secret might get out, and your Pippor isn't so safe in the town." Jordan spoke like he had the upper hand, like he could squish Krey under his thumb.

All Krey heard was a threat, and not just to him, but to his mate. That was all it took, the thought of Pip being in danger. His anger took over.

Krey's hand was back on Jordan's neck, crushing his airways. He would have gripped his hair if Jordan didn't shave it every month.

"A-Alpha, I-I-" Jordan clutched Krey's wrists, but nothing could budge his clamped hands from around his neck.

Krey's red eyes were wide with anger, boiling in his veins.