Chapter 42

Makena was sitting in her chair by the window when a close scent wafted underneath her door. Over the scent of her son and his soulmate, Makena was used to smelling Sid, occasionally Francis, and Jordan.

Makena bolted up on her seat. She could smell Jordan, but Jordan was locked in the cellar for threatening her son's mate. Krey would never allow him anywhere near his bedroom.

Makena knew how overprotective mates could be.

Slowly, she tiptoed to her door and opened it as quietly as she could. Makena looked right, then left, just in time to watch someone slip into Krey's room and shut the door. The person had a shaved head. Makena knew immediately that she had just seen Jordan.

She sniffed the air. The human's scent was still strong, but not Krey's scent. Makena stepped into the corridor, listening. At first everything was quiet until there was a sudden crash coming from Krey's room, along with the smell of fear.

"Shit," Makena whispered and hurried down the corridor in bare feet and long grey hair flowing behind her.

She flung Krey's bedroom door open and frantically looked around. As soon as her eyes spotted movement, it was too late. Jordan dragged Pip into the bathroom and locked the door.

Makena ran to it and threw all her weight into the door. She only shook the hinges, but the door didn't budge. "Jordan!" she screamed. "Open this fucking door!" Makena, with her bare foot, kicked the door. Pain fizzed up her ankle, but she kicked the door again and again. It moved a little more on the hinges, so she threw her body weight into it. Pain cracked her shoulder.

"Jordan!" she yelled when she heard muffled cries from inside the bathroom and running taps. I will not let Krey's mate die, she thought sternly. Krey will not go through that.

Makena moved back to take a running stance, then bolted towards the door as fast as she could, slamming her shoulder into the wood.

Her force worked and the door flung from the hinges and crashed onto the floor with a heavy thud.

Jordan was on top of Pip, pinning him down by his neck and using his other hand to punch Pip in the face. Pip's nose popped and blood was everywhere by the time Makena had reached them. She grabbed Jordan and yanked him back, so Krey's mate could breathe.

Makena fell on her back, trying to tackle Jordan. He elbowed her in the ribs and squirmed out of her grip.

Jordan scurried to the human and hauled him up enough to submerge his head into cold water. Blood clouded the sink.

Makena got up, but Jordan smacked her in the jaw and Makena fell back against the wall.

Jordan had let go of the human's head long enough for him to lift his mouth above water and gasp for breath. Jordan quickly gripped his hair and shoved his head back under the water. His nose crashed against the bottom of the sink, darkening the colour of the water with his blood.

Makena tried tackling Jordan again. She wished desperately for her claws and sharp teeth. Ever since her mate died, Makena no longer had her wolf, but she still had her acute werewolf senses and strength.

She wrapped her arms around Jordan's neck, just as someone approached the bathroom doorway.

Makena struggled to pull Jordan away from her son's mate until an extra pair of hands were on him. Makena never thought she would be so relieved to see Francis.

Then Krey pelted in the room with eyes as red as Sid's hair, who hurried in after the Alpha.

Krey tore through the room, gripped Jordan's head and sank claws into Jordan's eyes. The beta wolf screamed in pain and released the human's hair.