Chapter 49

Pip sat in the middle of Krey's large bed and flicked the pages to numbers 111. "Human mates," he read aloud. "The bond, and what you should expect." Pip crossed his legs and hunched over the pages. "After you have the dream, it's likely you will know if your mate is human by where they are in the dream, what they are doing, and what they look like." Pip realised that the book was written for a werewolf's perspective. Krey must have known, he thought. Every werewolf is bigger than me.

He flicked through a few pages, stopping on one subtitled 'How your human will be affected'.

"The bond is typically made for werewolves, so humans are more affected in the early stages, as well as after the bond is connected." Pip frowned, wondering if his bond with Krey was connected or not. "The longer you wait to connect the bond, the sicker the human will feel. Symptoms vary depending on how long you wait to connect. Early symptoms range from a common cold to a bad flu. Do not leave your human sick for too long or the symptoms will worsen. It takes typically four months for an unconnected bond to kill a human. If you have to wait to connect, keep your human's health in mind."

Pip now understood why he hadn't felt great for the past few weeks. His symptoms were weak, but the thought of them getting worse and worse made him want to connect the bond immediately. "How do I do that?" he asked out loud, skimming through the pages. "Make sure your human is fond of your wolf to protect the bond," he read. "To connect the bond between a werewolf and a human, your human must hug your wolf for at least sixty seconds. If your human is scared, the bond will not complete."

Pip thought of the wolf he had seen in the woods. He thought about the size of the claws digging into the earth, and the size of the sharp teeth, and the way it snarled at Mark and his idiot friends.

Pip shivered. It's not an it. That wolf was Krey.

Pip checked his watch. Krey had been gone for ten minutes. He didn't know why he had gone, or where he had gone, or how long he would be gone.

Pip had never met anyone like Krey, and that wasn't because he was a werewolf. Krey was a bitter person, cruel, snappy, prickly, and didn't care much for other people's feelings. However, he could be kind and considerate. Krey had a dry sense of humour, and eyes that did all the talking.

Pip had a strong feeling that Krey wasn't used to being nice. Now that Krey had a soulmate, he cared deeply about Pip and his happiness. Pip also assumed that Krey wasn't fond of humans, so having to allow one into his private life was hard too.

Yes, Pip's life had change dramatically, but so had Krey's life.

They were both overwhelmed. One dealt with it, the other ignored it until he was fit to burst.

Pip sighed and hoped Krey would be back soon, so they had enough time to talk about how Krey was really feeling before they went to the annual meeting.

He returned his attention to the book, wondering what other topics the book covered. He pondered on whether there were any differences between two werewolf mates and a werewolf with a human mate.

"I bet werewolves don't get sick." Pip swallowed, feeling his sore throat. In order to feel better, he had to hug Krey's wolf and not be terrified. If they didn't connect the bond, Pip's health would deteriorate.

Pip thought back to the wolves tearing around the field. Even from a window on the third floor, Pip was anxious.

He would need a lot of courage to get so comfortable with one of those massive wolves to be within ten metres, never mind close enough to hug one.

Pip flicked through more pages. If Pip read the book a few weeks ago, he would have assumed it was an add-on from a fiction novel. Now, he read about werewolf mates and believed every word.