Chapter 67

At once, everyone glanced at each other with a swell of gasps bouncing through the room.

"Dead?" Krey asked, stepping forwards and pushing Sid towards Pip in the process. Krey never touched anyone unless he punched them, or they were Pip, or he really liked their company, which was rare.

Sid got the message and slowly backed away until he was next to Pip by the window.

"Yes. Alpha's orders." The Beta's lopsided smile still pointed to Pip cowering in the back. If he was just after a human, he would be looking at Mark too, but Pip was the easy catch, and the catch with the biggest prize.

"Viktor ordered you to kill him?" Krey asked, counting how many wolves were behind the Beta. Only ten stood in their human form, but he sensed wolf forms too.

"No. My Alpha requested it. The one sitting in your home right now." The Beta wolf was nothing short of arrogant.

Krey growled lowly. "Fucking southern wolves," he muttered. "So you were never Viktor's Beta?"

"No, just how Jordan was never your father's Beta, and how the Shadow Pack's Beta was never Saphine's Beta, and many more in packs all across the North."

Krey felt Victoria's eyes burning the side of his face. The Southern wolves plan was deeper than Krey thought. "You've planted Betas in packs in the North? What the fuck for?"

"For this moment. As we speak, Beta's across the North are turning on their Alpha's. Soon, we'll have the whole North in our hands."

Krey eyed his mother, surrounded by his Omega's. in a protective circle. Francis was right next to Krey, ready to defend him when the moment comes. "Well that's a shit plan." Krey stood tall and took a step towards the Beta whose confidence wavered. "Do you really think the rest of the packs will fall under a traitor Beta's commands? The North will never surrender to this. Do you understand?" Krey's eyes were on the brink of pulsing red.

"Beta's are next in command. The packs have to listen to us."

"No they don't. If Jordan killed me, my Delta would have done everything to get the pack under his control. Nobody would side with a Beta from the South." Krey made eye contact with Sid, and he nodded to assure Krey that if anything happened to him and Francis, he would die protecting the pack too. "So you killed Viktor while the rest of the pack were sleeping. And who are they behind you, wolves that are on your side, or worried to avenge Viktor because of what's yet to come?"

The werewolves behind the Beta were older, mostly in their fifties, but they were fit and experienced fighters. As Krey stared at them, they avoided his eyes. They were scared.

The Beta checked his watch and grinned again. "It's time to put that anger of yours to good use. I hope you've all had your breakfast this morning." The Beta stepped into the room, and Krey held his head higher.

"I killed Jordan, easily. What's stopping all the other Alpha's from killing your traitor Beta's too?" Krey asked.

"Jordan was weak from being away from our Alpha."

"No, Jordan was just weak, and so is your Alpha now that he's lost his wolf."

The Beta wolf didn't like that. His eyes pulsed an unnatural green, illuminating brightly under the dull lights. Claws protruded from his fingers.

"It's pathetic of you to take pride in killing an old man. Viktor trusted you." Krey's eyes were pulsing red. Again, he had no time to turn into his wolf, but he could hear the cracking of bones behind him as his own pack transformed to protect him.

As the Beta stepped closer, a thick line of Omega wolves formed around Krey, all growling, and all with their hackles up.

Krey snuck a peek at Pip. His mate was freaked, pushing himself against the window with wide troubled blue eyes. Krey wasn't sure how many of Viktor's pack would take the Beta's side. He didn't know how many pack members were in the Sea Claw Packhouse. Krey was still missing around 20 of his own pack members. He once heard that Viktor was the biggest pack in the North of England, but not the strongest.