Chapter 53

"Mark," Krey said like his name was toxic on his tongue. His eyes darkened by the second. "Is this a fucking joke?"

"What?" Victoria looked from Krey's angry face, to Pip's sudden fear, then to Mark trying to show a smile that trembled at the sides. "You... know each other?"

Krey stepped forward with clenching fists. Mark stepped back, gulping. "This is your mate?" Krey asked his cousin.

"Um, yes. We met when the first annual meeting was supposed to happen. How do you know him?" Victoria's anxious eyes flicked to Pip. Krey was furious, and she knew when Krey was furious, he snapped easily.

"Why don't you ask Mark," Krey growled. "Are you still looking to fight? Well here the fuck I am."

Mark shuffled further away until Victoria grabbed his arm. Mark was ready for a sudden disappearing act. "Let's talk somewhere else?" she said, quickly glancing around when people near them stopped talking to watch what was going on.

Krey was fuming and zoning in on Mark's twitching face until Pip held one of his fists. "Krey," Pip, with darting eyes, didn't want to draw more attention to them. "Let's just go."

Krey was silent for a moment. His slate face was unreadable and dangerously blank, until he muttered, "I'm not letting him get away, not this time."

Krey lunged forwards and grabbed Mark by the scuff of his shirt. He dragged him through the crowd and through the door to their left. People were in the corridors, so Krey pulled him through the building until they reached somewhere quiet.

Pip and Victoria hurried after him. Francis and Sid followed too, suddenly very nervous, and ready to stop their Alpha if he moved too quickly to violence.

Krey pushed Mark away from him, so furious, he then charged forward and pointed a finger in his face. "Tell me, did you piss your pants when Victoria showed you her wolf too?"

Mark flushed a dark red. "That was you?" he asked, smoothing down the front of his shirt.

"Of course it was me! You and your friends chased Pip through the woods to beat the shit out of him!" Krey yelled in his face and Mark pinned himself to the wall, looking to Victoria for help. Mark was almost six foot. Krey still towered over him.

"Krey!" Victoria grabbed his arms and yanked him back. She stood in front of her mate and pointed a stern finger at Mark. "Tell me that's not true."

"I-I-" Mark looked to Pip who stood awkwardly and silently, not knowing what do say or do. "It's not true."

Victoria visibly deflated. Her arms slumped by her side. "Dammit Mark. I know when you're lying."

"You told me to tell you it wasn't true," Mark said with a small smirk.

"You think this is funny?" Krey's neck was red with anger.

Victoria turned and pushed hard against Krey's chest to stop him charging to her mate and punching him to oblivion. "Calm down, right now!" she yelled. Her eyes were a cluster of green fury.

Pip backed away, and Francis and Sid stood closer. Both Krey and Victoria were terrifying when angry.

"Mark, how do you know Pippor?" Victoria asked, standing between Krey and her mate.

"We go to the same school," Mark mumbled, crossing his arm and slouching against the wall. He chewed on his thin lips. His eyes were like grey beads staring at the floor.

"Pippor," Victoria said, softening her tone when she saw him standing sheepishly to one side, fidgeting violently with his fingers. "How do you know Mark?"