Chapter 61

​​​​​​​Pip had been asleep for an hour before Francis phoned to say they were outside. He didn't wake up from the ringing, or Krey's short and blunt conversation to say that he would greet them at the gate.

Krey looked down to his sleeping mate. Pip's head rested on Krey's bare chest, with hands curled up against himself. The duvet was pulled to Pip's ears, and he felt warm against Krey, who was very hot under the duvet, not used to sleeping bundled up. Pip had shivered right up until he fell asleep. Krey had to keep Pip warm, even if it meant that he was uncomfortable himself.

Krey was reluctant to move. He had to wake Pip to tell him to lock the door behind him. As Krey opted to slide out from underneath him, Pip softly murmured something in his sleep and tried to coil around Krey's arm.

I can't leave him. He'll freak if he wakes up and I'm not there. Krey still snuck from the bed and watched Pip curl himself in the thin duvet. He'll get cold soon. I'll have to hurry.

Krey tiptoed to the door, unlocked it as quietly as he could, and looked left and right down the corridor. The lights were dull and made the ends of the corridors eerily dark. Krey crossed to the opposite door and banged hard with his fist, not caring if he woke Mark.

As he thought about what to say, Krey concluded that he had to be the one to greet his pack, not Victoria, not Viktor, and not Viktor's snotty Beta. Crescent Pack had promptly come to his side when he needed them. The least Krey could do was act like their Alpha and make sure they were all okay.

Victoria quickly opened the door with a finger over her mouth. "What is it?" she whispered.

"Mum and my pack are at the gate. I can't leave Pip by himself, and I don't want to wake him. Can you sit with him while I bring in my pack?"

Victoria took one look at her mate, sleeping soundly on the bed, and nodded, knowing Pip was more vulnerable because Krey's mate was a target. "Will you wake Viktor?" she asked, stepping into the corridor and shutting the door behind her.

"I'll tell a guard to find his Beta wolf. He won't be happy with this, but I couldn't leave them at your place." Krey handed her the phone. "Find out what's going on over there, and why the fuck your parents left her guests and my pack to fend for themselves."

"I will." Victoria's eyes darkened. "I'm not pleased with my parents. I hope you know that."

Krey nodded once and watched her enter his room and sit quietly at the desk. Krey took one last glance at Pip before setting off down the corridor.

The walk to the gate felt long. Krey was desperate to get back to Pip, yet relieved to see his mother, Francis, Sid, and forty members of his pack standing on the other side of the gate to greet him. The guards opened the gate when Krey demanded it in his bold Alpha voice and red pulsing eyes.

His mother greeted him with a tight hug and strong pats on the back. "Don't worry," she said quietly into his ear. "We'll get our home back."

"We will." Krey remained emotionless, despite him feeling rather panicked on the inside. "You know Viktor better than me. Are we safe here?"

Makena examined the cuts on Krey's face. "We will be if your pack keeps watch all night."

What his mother meant was Viktor could be unpredictable. He was usually an ally when it suited him, but Krey's father had built a good and trustworthy relationship with the Sea Claw Pack. Viktor was big on trust.

"Sid, what are your injuries?" Krey asked after greeting Francis with a strong pat to the shoulder.

"Just a broken arm and a few deep cuts on my shoulder. Nothing too serious." Sid had made a sling from his shirt, but the cuts were left exposed.