reminder [ wonho ]

Being Wonho’s fiancée wasn’t always easy. From the outside, everything seemed almost perfect. His business, the company you both kept, the vacations, getting everything you could have ever wanted, and the attention he paid you would make the best of them envious of your love. However, few knew what went on behind closed doors.

He was a high-ranking associate to a well-known family, one that you might call an established family. Words like mafia didn’t get thrown around like they once did, but if you had to attribute a definition to what he was apart of, that would be the more accurate one. He wasn’t a brute, although he looked like one, and he wasn’t a petty thief or a drug-lord either, he was simply well-connected and business minded, and willing to look the other way when more unsavory people and situations presented themselves.

This sometimes left you on edge, unsure of what the next day would bring. He could handle his own and he had people to protect him, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t a target. He knew things, and there were a lot of people who wouldn’t be afraid to crack his skull for that information. No serious threats had occurred just yet, but you knew they were watching, and you knew they lurked just outside your comfortable life. You had been followed, a few times at that, and you had witnessed him being accosted and verbally threatened. These rare instances frightened you senseless, but Wonho took them in stride.

“It’s okay, kitten.” He smiled bright, pushing your hair out of your face and caressing your cheek. “Nothing will ever happen to you.”

“It’s you I’m worried about.” You’d say, hanging your head.

“Nothing is going to happen to me, either. I promise.”

Though you would nod and smile, you couldn’t help but feel a gnawing sense of dread.

This week had been particularly difficult. Someone who worked under him had gotten into some serious trouble with an opposing family, and they were looking for him. They had already roughed up some lower level clients for possible information, and when they didn’t get it, it only made them more angry and eager to find him.

“Do you know where he is?” You asked the evening after it got serious, pulling your legs up under you on the couch.

“No.” Wonho answered sternly, busying himself around the living room and not meeting your eyes. You wondered if he was telling the truth. You thought maybe he might lie to make you feel better about it.

“They’re going to think you know.”

He didn’t say anything, and it made your stomach churn.

“I have some people coming over tomorrow,” He said instead, changing the subject. “We have some serious things to discuss.”

You knew what that meant. Anytime someone visited his home office he wasn’t to be bothered under any circumstances. You had been staring at the ground, chewing your finger in thought, vaguely taking in his words. Then you felt a hand under your chin, firm in its hold but not too tight, just enough to pull your attention up to his face.

“Do you understand?” He asked, and you nodded slowly, nuzzling his hand in the process. “Of course, sir.”  You said in a quiet way, and you felt the tension in his arm relax. He could be strict, but it didn’t take much for you to soften him.