Chapter 58: Everything Is Not What It Seems

Song Quote: The Other Side
"Don't you know that I'm okay with this uptown part I get to play
'Cause I got what I need and I don't want to take the ride
I don't need to see the other side
So go and do like you do
I'm good to do like me
Ain't in a cage, so I don't need to take the key
Oh, damn! Can't you see I'm doing fine
I don't need to see the other side."
~~~

Your Pov:
Bursting through the door of the infirmary, you couldn't stop the coughs that escaped your lips as you hobbled inside. Shutting and locking the door, you stumbled to find the first aid kit.

It hurt to move and breath as the poison coursed through your system. You only managed to dodge half of the poison cloud last second.

You don't even want to think about what would have happened if you were a second too late.

Your hands trembled as you opened the first aid kit and brought out what you needed. Fire was coursing through your veins as your skin burned from the inside out.

Some of the poison ate through patches of your clothes, revealing burn wounds. You winced at your wounds, slowly and tenderly removing your ruined jacket to get a better look.

Spots started to form in your vision as you started dressing the wounds with ointment and bandages. If anyone sees these, they'll ask questions on where they came from.

A small white vial appeared in front of your face, followed by a soft "Here."

Your eyes met Skylor as she eyed your wounds. Glancing at the door, you didn't hear her come in at all.

"Power hoarder" A grumble escaped your lips as you eyed the vial.

"Patching up your wounds won't do anything if the poison is in your system" She explained coolly and urged you to take a drink.

Noticing the sincerity in her eyes, you faltered and took the vial. You took a small sip before wincing at the flavor.

"Yeah, it tastes really gross" Skylor chuckled and sat next to you to help dress your wounds.

"Leave me be" You shrugged her off, taking another sip of the medicine before helping yourself to some bandages.

She didn't push her boundaries, yet she didn't leave your side either.

The medicine was already taking effect. The burning sensation in your skin numbed out as you dressed the wounds in soft gauze.

"My Father is very happy with your results today" Skylor broke the silence as you focused on wrapping your hands.

Your eyes were trained on the dried blood in your palms. How you clenched your hand so hard it broke through the skin.

"-Even though you pulled your punches during your match" Skylor thought aloud as she eyed your hands.

"Injuring yourself and going invisible. You managed to fool everyone, even my father. Nice job using your blood. It really sold the act" She complimented.

Staying silent, you thought about Paleman. You hope he read the note you passed on to him during the match when no one was looking.

Despite your intentions and careful planning, nothing will clear up these terrible feelings that have taken hold.

Breaking the silence, Skylor held up a cup of freshly poured tea "I bring your reward as discussed..."

This caught your attention as you eyed the green liquid in the nice porcelain cup.