4. Bad News

Alison's P.O.V

Thank goodness the boys got there when they did, if they didn't I wouldn't know what else to do.

" You okay Ali? " Johnny asked helping me up.

" Yeah I'm fine, thanks. " I said as I grabbed his hand.

" Good thing Pony and Johnny wanted to make sure you were all right. " Dally said.

" And you didn't. " I said giggling.

" I mean, no promises. " Dally said in a joking tone.

" Well we better head back to the Drive in if y'all want to watch the movie. " Pony exclaimed.

" Sure. " I said starting to run. I still didn't get my jacket. Luckily my house was only a minute or two away, so I ran to get it. After that we started to head back to the drive in.
When we made it, it was about 8 : 25 so we made it just in time. Of course we needed food, so we went and got food from the concession, then sat down.
We were in the second row back, and right in the middle of the screen. The movie was about planes and pilots, and how they climed to the top rankings. It was a good movie, a little sad but a good movie. The movie didn't end till about 10 : 30. It was dark and kinda cold, but not unbearable. None of us were tired, so we decided to go to the park for a little while. I didn't want the night to end it was so fun. Finally I had time to spend with my friends. We stayed around the park talking for about a half hour. At 11 : 00 we all decided to head home, except for Johnny. He rarely stayed at his house due to his parents being abusive. Often times he would sleep In the park, or at the Curtis house. Dally slept at Buck Merrill's house. He kinda had to, Dally didnt have a home either. His dad was a jerk and Dally left him at a real young age. Pony just stayed at his house with Sodapop and Darry, his two older brothers.
I started to walk home in the dark, chilled night. I should of known not to wear a cropped shirt. But I went through all the effort to get my jacket, so I should put it to use. I slipped my jacket on over my flannel, and popped the color on my flannel.
The only light I had was a occasional street lamp, and passing cars. It took me twenty minutes to get home from the park.
I didn't get home till 11 : 20 and I knew my family would be asleep. So, I snuck into the house, and got ready for bed.
I got in bed and fell right asleep, and didn't wake up till the next morning.
Since I stayed up later then I was used to, I didnt wake up till 12 : 00. When I did wake up, it was due to Lyla shaking me awake.

" What's wrong Lyla? " I said drowsy.

" Its mom, she needs you. " she said in a raspy voice.

" Okay tell her I'll be there in a minute. " I told her while getting out of bed. I watched Lyla run out of the room, and towards my mom's room.
I got up and put a jacket on, then went to my mom's room.

" Hey momma, you needed me. " I asked while looking at her from the door way. She looked frail and fragile. She started to cough a whole lot.

" Momma, you all right? " I said as I rushed to her side.

" Yeah Ali, I'm fine. I've been needing to tell you something. " she said as she looked me in the eyes and put my head in her hand.

" What is it momma? " I asked starting to get choked up.

" I've been sick for a while now, and can't afford treatment. And if something were to happen to me, " she started but I cut her off.

" No momma, dont say that. You'll be fine, I'll work and get enough money for your treatment. I promise momma, I'll get five jobs if I have to. " I went on and on I couldn't stop, but my momma stopped for me.

" Dont worry Ali, you dont have to do all that. Sometimes things can't be avoided or helped. There's no point in ruining your summer, just to make money for me. I lived long enough, and if something is to happen, let it happen. You have such a long and amazing life ahead of you. I've lived mine, don't waist yours on me. " she said with a soft smile across her face. By then I had tears flowing down my face.

" No momma, I'll do what I have to, to help you. Besides my life wouldn't be amazing without you. You've made me who I am, I need you. Without you I couldn't live. Please momma let me help, please. " I said barely able to use my voice. I walked out of the room after kissing my mom on the forehead. I didn't want Lyla to know about mom.
I decided to get ready and take Lyla out to get icecream.

" Come on Lyla let's go. " I said trying to sound as cheerful as possible.

" Where are we going? " she asked looking up from her book.

" To get icecream. " I told her with a sweet smile.

" Yay!! " she yelled as she hopped up to put her flip flops on.

" I'll be outside. " I yelled to her. I walked out the door and down to the sidewalk. Lyla came running out the door with a big smile.

" C'mon let's go " I said reaching down for her hand. She reached up, and took hold of my hand. We started to walk down the sidewalk towards the icecream shop.
By the time we made it to the icecream shop we both had smiles across our faces. I couldn't help it, because despite our mom's condition I had Lyla and that made me happy. We entered the shop and walked up to the counter.