6. Nightly Fresh Air

Allison's P.O.V

My mom was lying there peacefully asleep, I didn't want to wake her up. But I knew she would need food to heal, so I went ahead and woke her up. She didn't seem to have any strength, so I hoped the food would help her regain energy.

" Hey mom. " I said with a hushed tone.

" Hey baby. " she said in the loudest voice she could manage, which wasn't very high.

" I made you dinner. " I said putting the food next to her on the nightstand.

" Thanks baby. " she said as I helped her sit up so she could eat. She managed to start eating and I went to check on Lyla.
When I came into the kitchen I found Lyla in the fridge grabbing some cake.

" Lyla? " I said smirking. I watched her jump nearly out of her skin.

" Yes. " she said hiding the cake behind her back.

" You know if you wanted a peice of cake, you could of just asked. " I said walking over to grab a butter knife.

" Yeah, I know. " she said handing me the cake to cut. I cut her a peice and me a slightly smaller peice. We sat at the table in silence eating our cake.
I knew Lyla was worried about our mom, how could she not be. Lyla was only twelve which made this whole situation even harder on her. It was 5 : 30. I told Lyla she could play for a hour or so, then she needed to get ready for bed. Lyla had planned to spend the night at a friend's tomorrow, which would lift a huge amount of stress of my shoulders. Taking care of my mom was one thing, but then add the stress of also feeding and taking care of a twelve year old.
I watched Lyla paint a picture of our mom, it came out really good and only took her about a hour and a half. Once she was done I put it in the kitchen to dry, while she went to get ready for bed.
I headed to her room to tuck her in around 7 : 00. She was already in bed staring at the ceiling.

" Hey. " I said walking into her room.

" Hi. " she said in a quiet voice.

" You okay? " I asked walking over and sitting at the foot of her bed.

" Yeah. " She said.

" You worried about mom? " I asked her reluctantly.

" Yeah, how could I not be? " she said looking at me. I saw tears start to build in her eyes.

" Hey, don't worry. It'll be alright. " I said reaching out to give her a hug.

" Thanks Ali. " she said, accepting the hug.

" We're in this together remember. " I said. She nodded and layed back down. I tucked her in and turned out the light.
My mom had tought me how to sew last summer, so I decided to sew a hole in one of my favorite shirts. I was still kinda slow at it, but when I was done it looked good.
By now it was 8 : 00. I decided to get ready and go to bed. I finished getting ready and got in bed. I didn't fall asleep till about 9 : 00. I wasn't all that tired, plus I was worried.
I woke up at 11 : 30, and I couldn't fall back asleep. I decided I needed to try and get some of this stress of my shoulders. So I got up, threw some ripped blue Jean's on, along with a dark blue sweatshirt, and laced up my black converse.
I stepped out into the dark and cold night. I knew it definitely wasn't safe to walk at night alone, but I didn't care, I needed to get some fresh air. I started to walk towards the park. I liked the park. It was a nice and calming place, and it reminded me of when I was a little girl.
I was almost to the park when I noticed a boy sitting on some of the equipment, he was smoking a cigarette. I started to walk over to him, then he turned around. He jumped off the equipment and started to head towards me. As he got closer the street light lit up his face. It was Johnny, I wasn't surprised seeing as the park or the lot was where he usually slept.

" Hey Johnny. " I said waving to him.

" Ali, what are you doing out here this late and all alone? " Johnny asked me.

" Well I needed some fresh air. " I said staring down at my feet.

" Is everything okay at home? " he asked in a soft tone.

" Not exactly, my mom is really sick and we can't afford treatment for her. I've had so much stress lately trying to keep her and Lyla happy. " I said.

" Oh, dont worry I'm sure everything will be fine. " Johnny said looking up at the sky.

" Yeah, I hope. " I said looking up at the sky along with Johnny.

" Hey, you want to take a walk. Get some stuff of your mind. " he asked me.

" Sure, that would be really helpful. " I told him. We started to walk away from the park. I was happy I found Johnny, if I didn't I would be a lot more scared walking all alone. Our neighborhood was usually pretty quiet at night, not too many cars past through here. However we didn't have the best lighting, other then a few street lights, it was dark.
The night was calming. There wasn't a single noise other then the sound of Johnny and my footsteps. I felt bad for Johnny he had to basically live out here, and it may not be that bad in the summer, but in winter, I don't know how he does it.

" So Johnny what's it like living outside all the time? " I asked not realizing how rude I sounded.

" It's not too bad. " he said.

" Do you ever get scared? " I asked him.

" Well occasionally. " he said, as we noticed a yellow mustang trailing us. We tried to ignore it, and speed up our pace.