5. Taking My Mind Off Things

Alison's P.O.V

It was the same girl who was at the counter the day before, the red haired girl.

" Hey what can I do for ya girls? " she asked walking over to us.

" I'll take one vanilla and one strawberry scoop please. " Lyla said.

" I'll take two strawberry scoops. " ordering the same thing as I did yesterday.

" Okay girls, I'll get that right out to ya. " she said walking away to make our icecream. She returned with our icecream in a few minutes. Me and Lyla each took our icecream and started walking towards the door to leave, when I saw one of my friends.

" Hey Steve. " I said walking over to the boy.

" Oh hey Ali. " he said looking up from the table.

" What are you doing here all alone? " I asked him.

" Well I got work off today, and Soda was supposed to meet me here on his lunch break. But, I came a little too early. " he said.

" Oh well, Lyla and I can keep you company till Soda gets here. " I said looking down at him.

" Sure. " he said looking happier.

" So when is Soda supposed to be here? " I asked looking at him.

" 1 : 30. " he said half smiling, half frowning.

" Steve it's only 1 : 00!! " I said laughing.

" Like I said, I came a little early. " he said laughing.

" I'll say. " I said. We sat there for a while and talked till we heard the bell above the front door ring, and Soda walk in. Steve waved to him and he came over.

" Hey Ali, I didnt know you would be here. " he said sitting down.

" Steve was lonely. " I said giggling.

" That explains a little bit. " Soda said. I heard Steve kick him in the leg under the table.

" Well how was work? " I asked Soda as he rubbed his leg, due to Steve's kick.

" Good I'm starving tho. " he said looking at the menu.

" Yeah I'm a little hungry myself. " I said picking up a menu. The waitress came over, and asked what we wanted. We all ordered, got our food, and ate it. It only took about ten minutes.

" So I still have twenty minutes for my lunch break, y'all want to hang out for a little while? " Soda asked.

" Sure. " Steve and I both said.

" Why don't we go to the park. " Steve said.

" Yeah!! " Lyla said swallowing her last bite.

" Well I guess it's settled then. We'll head to the park for a little while. " I said getting up. We all got up, paid, and walked out of the icecream shop.
It took us three minutes to get to the park. Steve and Layla started running around playing tag with each other. Steve was just as much of a child as Lyla. They were funny to watch. Occasionally Steve would trip, and Lyla would catch up to him and tag him.

" Tag!! " Lyla yelled, while running by and tagging my shoulder. I tagged Soda on the arm, then he tagged me right back. He didn't stick around for me to tag him back, because as soon as he tagged me he jumped right up and ran in the other direction. It wasn't long before we all were up chasing each other around yelling " tag ".
Eventually Soda had to go back to work, and Steve went to Two-bit's house to hang out. It was 2 : 05 and I decided it was time for me and Lyla to head home. I was really happy, the day so far had been amazing.
Some of my joy faded though when I remembered my mom being ill. My mom was the only parent I had growing up my whole life. If I lost her, I don't know how I would live. I had to try and stay strong for her and Lyla. She wouldn't want me to cry and give up on my life just because she was sick.
Me and Lyla made it home in about ten minutes. It was a nice day with a breeze. I decided to grab my book and read for a little on the poarch. The breeze kept blowing through my hair, and it was calming. It was now 3 : 00. This day had really helped me get my mind of school, my mom, and my future.
I was a little dirty from playing tag in the park, so I decided to clean up. I put my book up, and went to take a nice long shower. Then changed into a pair of light jean shorts, with a yellow shirt, and a light yellow flannel. I pulled my hair back into a high ponytail, and put a yellow ribbon into my hair. It was 4 : 00 when I finished.
I went to check up on my mom, not much had changed. Which was a good and bad thing, she wasn't getting worse, but she wasn't getting better. She was coughing a whole lot, and was a little nauseous. In all honesty I was worried, I didn't want to lose my mom.

" Ali, is mom okay? " Lyla asked me looking up with her teary and hopeful blue eyes.

" I'm not sure. But I sure hope so. " I said looking back down to her. I didn't know what would happen to my mom, I could only assume the worst and hope for the best.
It was now 4 : 30, and I decided to start making dinner. I knew just as much about making dinner as I did breakfast. I decided to make steak with some mac n cheese. It was rare that we actually had a good dinner. So with my mom being sick, I figured tonight would be a good night to have a special dinner. I wasn't the best chef, but I knew how to make steak and mac n cheese. It usually tasted pretty good too.
I finished cooking right at 5 : 00. So I called Lyla down to get her food, then took my mom's food to her.