9. The Curtis House

Sodapop's P.O.V

I had just layed down ten minutes ago. I was pretty tired from work today. I was just about to fall asleep, when I heard a knocking at the door. I got up to answer it, it was Ali. Ali stood there on my front poarch soaking wet, crying, and cold.

Allison's P.O.V

Sodapop answered the door, he stood there for a second observing me.

" What happened Ali? " he said grabbing my arm, and pulling me inside. I could barely speak clearly.

" She's dead. " I said.

" Whose dead? " Soda said setting me down on the couch.

" My mom, she died a few minutes ago. I was right there, and she died right in front of me. " I said. At that moment Darry walked in. He came over to Soda and me.

" Ali you okay? " Darry asked looking down at Soda and me. I started to shiver.

" Darry go grab some blankets and warm clothes. " Soda said pushing the hair out of my eyes.

" It's okay. " Soda said in the softest tone he could. Not long after he left, Darry came back with a few blankets and some clothes.

" Here Ali, go change into these there dry. " Darry said handing me the clothes. I got up and walked to the bathroom.
I changed into the clothes Darry had brought me. It was a oversized black t-shirt, with some slightly too big sweat pants. I put my hair up into a messy bun so my back wouldn't get too wet. I had stopped crying. I wanted to keep crying, but I couldn't.
When I came back into the living room Pony was sitting on the floor next to Soda, and Darry was in the chair.

" Thanks guys, I was alone and I didn't know what else to do. " I said.

" Any time. " Darry said.

" You can stay here tonight if you want. " Pony added.

" Really!! That would be great. " I said smiling.

" What about Lyla? " Darry asked.

" She's staying with a friend. " I said walking over to Soda and Pony.

" So does she know about your mom? " Soda asked looking up at me.

" No. She left earlier before my mom died, I don't know how I'm going to tell her. " I said sitting down and bringing my knees to my face.

" What time is she supposed to come home? " Darry asked.

" 3 : 00 tomorrow. " I said closing my eyes.

" Well you can go back to your house at 2 : 45 and pick her up. As soon as she gets dropped off, bring her back here and we'll all tell her together. " Soda said.

" Thanks guys. " I said, my smile returning.

" Okay now that everything's settled, its time for bed. Its 8 : 30 after all. " Darry said going to get ready for bed.
Pony and Soda slept in their room, Darry in his chair, and I slept on the couch.
The couch was surprisingly comfy. I fell asleep almost instantly. The sound of rain hitting the window was calming and relaxing.
I woke up to the fragrance of eggs and bacon. Soda and Pony were at the table eating, and Darry was cooking. I didnt feel like getting up, but I decided to. I sat up on the couch still half asleep.

" Morning sunshine. " I heard Sodapop call from the kitchen.

" Morning. " I said rubbing my eyes.

" Want some eggs, or bacon, or both? " Darry asked putting some eggs and bacon on a plate.

" Both please. " I said getting up and walking to the table. I sat down at the table with Pony and Soda. Darry came over with his and my food. He slid my plate over to me.

" Thanks. " I said, as I started to eat. Darry was a really good cook, his food was so good that I think it put me in a good mood, just by eating it. I was almost finished with my food, when I heard the door crash open from the living room.
Steve and Two-Bit came running into the kitchen. Two-Bit went straight to the fridge to get a beer, and Steve got a chocolate cake. I didn't get how he ate cake cold, but I knew not to question Steve.

" Hey y'all. " Soda said standing up, and taking his plate to the sink.

" Hey buddy!! " Steve said putting his arm around Soda's shoulder.

" Hey Ali, what are you doin here? " Two-Bit asked through sips of beer.

" Just thought I'd stay a while. " I said trying not to show that I was sad. Darry tapped Steve and Two-Bit on the shoulder, then motioned for them to go to the living room. Once Steve and Two-Bit left the the kitchen, Darry gave Soda and Pony a quick look. Then followed Steve and Two-Bit out of the room.
I knew what Darry was telling them. He was telling them about my mom. I tried to hold back my tears. I didn't want to cry when everyone else looked so happy.
It was 12 : 30, and I decided to go home and get clothes since my other ones were still wet. I told the boys I was leaving, and started my walk down the street. I looked ridiculous, but I didn't care.
When I made it to my house, I went inside and straight to my closet. I grabbed my back pack, and put all my clothes in the bag. Then I went to Lyla's room and grabbed her backpack, and put all her clothes in the bag.
I didn't want to stay in my house and change. I had lived in that house my whole life, and the memories of my happy family burned in my mind.
I grabbed both backpacks, and $100.00 out of my allowance. I grabbed some snacks, then left the house.
I walked down my steps, and grabbed some outdoor toys that Lyla liked to play with. Then left and started to walk back to the Curtis house. I was broken leaving the house I had lived in my whole life.