11. Loved Ones

Allison's P.O.V

I pushed Lyla's hair to the side, she had a curious and confused look. My heart was breaking on the inside, I tried to get the words out but they were stuck in my throat.
Everyone was looking at me, I felt my eyes start to burn. I teared up. I knew I had to tell her, so I finally got the courage to do it.

" Lyla, Mom's dead. " I said with a long pause between each word. I started to cry.

" What? " she said sounding surprised.

" She died last night. " I said hugging her. Lyla didnt say anything she just sat there staring off with her mouth slightly opened. She looked almost lifeless.
I just hugged her tighter. I felt her slowly start to hug me back. She layed her head on my shoulder. I hated the thought that our mom was gone, and we were left alone.
Everyone was just staring with lonely and sad expressions. No one said anything for a long time, it was just the lonely and quiet room. I missed my home, I missed my happy family, I missed my mom.
Lyla was hugging me really tight, I could tell she was hurting and trying not to show it. Lyla was never really one for crying and being sad. She rarely ever cried and on the rare occasion she did, it wasn't a lot or for very long.
Eventually we let go of each other and looked at each other. We both had the same look, thought, and hope.
We knew we had to try and make everything work out. So we finally broke the silence.

" How about we go out to eat tonight. " Lyla said.

" We can do that, but where would we go? " Darry said.

" Wherever y'all want to. " I said standing up.

" Okay, well we better get a move on then. " Darry said going to get the car keys. Dally also had Bucks T-Bird. So Pony, Soda, Darry, and Steve rode in Darry's car. Then Lyla, Dally, Two-Bit, and I rode in Buck's T-bird.
We decided just to go to a local diner, nothing to much. The drive there was pretty short, and fun. We listened to our music really loud and people would look at us. I loved my friends even if they were reckless. They were all I had other then Lyla, and I wouldn't want to be stuck with anyone else other then these guys.
We made it to the diner, sat down, and ordered. I got a cheese burger, with fries. Everyone else got there food, and we all ate. The food was great, it tasted so good. The night was perfect. I got to spend time with my friends and sister. I wish my mom could be there too. We were all laughing and cracking jokes.
We finished in about 5 minutes, but we kept talking for 25 minutes. Soda and Steve told stories about the DX, Dally talked about the cooler and getting hauled off, Two-Bit just kept cracking jokes, Pony talked about school and track, and Darry talked about work.
After 30 minutes it was 4 : 30, and we decided to go home. We all payed and left, we rode back the same way we came. We all felt stuffed and like we needed to work some of what we ate off.
So we all played a variety of games outside, and some inside. Till it was about 6 : 30. Two-Bit decided to head home, so his mom wouldn't be worried. Steve stayed a little longer then Two-Bit, but then decided to go home, so he could get ready for work the next morning.
Dally, Darry, Pony, Soda, Lyla, and I were all left at the Curtis house. It was about 8 : 00.

" I gotta go to the store to get some stuff, if that's cool with y'all. " Dally said getting up from where he was sitting.

" Hey Dal, can I come? " I asked him.

" Sure, if you want to. " He said in a confused kinda way.

" Okay let's go, be back later guys!! " I yelled running out the door. Dally looked to the others and shrugged. He came walking down the porch, I was already in the car. I was excited to go. At this point I pretty much wanted to make the most of my summer in any way I could. Even if that meant going to the store.
Dally got in the car and started it. We drove off. We were going pretty fast, but I didnt care I loved it. However it didnt take long before we got pulled over by a cop. Dally got let off with a warning tho.

" So why did you want to come so bad? " Dally asked driving away from the cop.

" Well ever since my mom passed, I realized that my life could end at any moment. So I want to make the most of it, and spend time with all my friends and Lyla. So if that means just going to the store with one of my friends, I'll take it. My friends are special to me, I dont want to waist a breath on anything that doesn't involve them. " I said letting the wind blow against my face.

" Wow, I feel special. " Dally said cracking a little smile.

" Yeah. That's what friends are, there special. " I said giggling.

" Must be. " Dally said. We arrived at the store a few minutes later. We both got out of the car, and walked into the store.

" So whatcha need? " I asked Dally following him trough the store.

" Just some cigarettes, snacks, and other random stuff. "

" Ah yes cause snacks are so important. " I said jokingly.

" Hey, you gotta live dont ya? " Dally said grabbing some chips.

" I mean, fair point. " I said. We went to to the counter and Dally got his cigarettes. We payed for the other stuff and left. We got in the car and started to drive away.