10. Lyla

Allison's P.O.V

I finally made it back to the Curtis house. The walk back wasn't too bad, I just didn't feel like walking. I didn't feel much emotion, just sadness and emptiness.
I arrived to basically see a Mickey Mouse marathon. Everyone sat on the couch, floor, and in the chair, while watching Mickey Mouse. I don't think anyone even noticed I was there, till I cleared my throat.

" Oh hey Ali. " Pony said turning away from the TV.

" Do y'all mind if I change here instead of my house? " I asked.

" Sure go ahead. " Pony said.

" Thanks. " I said walking over to the bathroom. I shut the door, and locked it. I took my hair out and it fell into long waves. I brushed it out till it was almost straight. I put a baby blue headband on to hold my hair back out of my face.
I put a baby blue shirt on. The collar, sleeves, and bottom of the shirt were dark blue. I put some white jean shorts on, and tucked my shirt in. Lastly I slipped on my white high top converse.
I finished up getting ready then went back out into the living room. I sat down on the floor, and watched Mickey Mouse with everyone. I liked Mickey Mouse, but I didn't understand how the boys could watch it repeatedly.
We all sat there and watched diffrent episodes of Mickey Mouse, ate cake, and drank beer till it was about 2 : 00.
It was almost time to go pick up Lyla. So Darry called the police and told them what had happened to my mom, and they said they would come get her around 2 : 30.
After that was all settled, it was 2 : 15. I didnt want to pick Lyla up, because I would have to tell her about mom. Everyone else was here to help me though. Steve, Soda, Darry, Pony, and Two-Bit were all there, they were my family now.
I never knew how close you could be to someone. When your as close as we are, you feel safe, protected, and like you had someone who would give anything to see you happy and smiling. It was a good feeling to have.
It was finally the time I had dreaded since last night. I told everyone I would be back and left to pick up Lyla. The walk there was awful. I hated having to do this.
Being a big sister means you have responsibilities. These responsibilities pressure you sometimes. And one responsibility a older sibling never wants to have, is giving bad news.
I got to the house at about 2 : 50. The house never looked more empty and lifeless. To think a perfect family of a mom, her sixteen, and twelve year old daughters could be destroyed in one night.
I sat on the curb of the sidewalk, waiting. I had arrived a little early, so I had to wait a while. I threw rocks across the rode, until a voice scared me from behind.

" What are you doin here, sittin all alone on the curb? " the voice asked. I quickly spun around to see Dally standing there looking down at me.

" Waiting. " I said looking back down at my feet.

" For who? " he asked.

" Lyla. " I said tossing another rock in the street.

" Where is she? " he asked lighting up a cigarette.

" Friends house, she should be home in a minute or two. " I said looking back at him.

" Why are you out here, and not inside? " he said sounding puzzled.

" My mom. " I said.

" What'd she do? " he said.

" She passed. " I said with a second of hesitation.

" What!! " Dally said sounding the most surprised I had ever heard him.

" Yeah, she died last night. " I said looking at a car pulling up.

" I'm sorry. " Dally said. We didn't say anything else for a few minutes. The car that had pulled up was my sister, her friend, and her friends mom. Lyla got out of the car and ran over to give me a hug.
I said thanks to Lyla's friends mom while waving bye to her. I grabbed Lyla's hand and started to walk, down the sidewalk.

" Ali, why are we walking away from the house? " she asked.

" Were just going for a nice sister to sister walk. " I said looking down to her.

" With Dally? " she said in a sarcastic questioning tone.

" Uh yeah. " I said kinda giggling. Dally glared at me with a look of confusion. I just gave him a smile and looked back towards where I was walking. I knew the next hour would be pure torture, so I decided to make the most of the time I had now. You never really know when your life could turn upside down.

" Well okay, welcome to the sister club Dally. " Lyla said with a smirk. Dally and Lyla always made jokes towards each other. They always had this kinda smartie pants attitude towards each other, it was fun to watch.

" Haha very funny kid. " Dally said with sarcasm.

" Hey I mean you could be part of the little girls club. " I said smiling and giggling to myself.

" Shut up. " Dally said. We continued to walk for a while. Looking at all the trees swaying in the wind, and the people walking by.
We walked the rest of the way to the Curtis house in silence. Peaceful, still, and calmed silence. It was nice, but I knew it was almost time to tell Lyla. We walked in, Dally not too far behind us.

" Hey Dally. " Two-Bit said walking in from the kitchen with a beer.

" Hey man. " Dally said sitting down on the couch.

" Did you get Lyla? " I heard Darry yell from the kitchen. I assumed he was doing some cleaning.

" Yeah!! " I yelled back to him.

" Although I dont know why!! " Lyla added, also yelling to Darry. Darry came walking in, and looked at me then Lyla then back to me. I knew what he was trying to say. I didn't want to tell her, I just didn't. My heart would break in two. I told her to sit down, and knelt down to her.