6 | the warmth of her gaze

"Amanda... I would like to help you."
That caught me off guard, causing the bitchy mode to turn on again.

"I already told you that I'm fine." Sure, that sounded really convincing, good job.
Biting slightly my lips I looked down to my lap, pretending to remove invisible dirt on my leggings.

"Is that the first time things like that happen?" My hand immediately froze in the air, actually my whole body did for way too long.

Changing my sitting position I brought my knees up to my chest laying my chin on them while my gaze lost itself somewhere towards the horizon, following the hypnotizing movement of the trees. As I felt my tears coming back in waves I strongly shut my eyes, mentally shouting at them to go away.

"You're shaking..." she whispered even lower, almost too low for me to be sure those words really left her lips.
But I suddenly felt her hand brushing my shoulder which startled me. "Oh shit, I'm sorry Amanda. I'm really sorry. I-I don't know what's going on and I just want to help you but I don't know how."she repeated seeming desperate.

Locking eyes with her I saw the exact same expression that Derek usually had with me. Feeling bad I quickly apologized. "It's alright. I'm alright, I'm sorry Miss Anderson."

Breathe.

"... W-we should head back inside. What am I doing? You're going to be horribly sick." she said, not standing up though.
Frowning as why she wasn't insisting, our gazes connected again and I had to admit I find myself admiring hers for the hundred time already. Her eyes were strangely warm in this cold night. For some reasons I slowly felt a smile crept his way on my lips. But this time I didn't question it, I just let it be.

"You know my immune system is almost unerring. I could jump in the lake right now and get away without a cold."

A grin appeared on her face before she moves her hair out of her face, mumbling something that looked like 'unbelievable'.

Suddenly worried that she might be sick because of me I glanced towards her only naked spot in her neck on the aim to see if she was cold. Feeling my eyes on her she turned back to me before immediately covering her neck with her fingers which was a weird move that I didn't quite understand honestly, but who was I to judge strangeness?

In a rapid movement I gave her the scarf left on the bench between us.

"I think our asses are already warming up the bench enough, it doesn't need this." I said, seeing her being hesitant.
With a cute chuckle and nod she took it and wrapped it around her neck, creating a little cocoon under her angelic face. That's only when my eyes looked up to hers again that I fully understood what was happening, 1) I was unapologetically staring and 2) she was fully aware of it.

Feeling like an absolute freak I diverted my eyes. She's going to think I'm the weirdest girl alive, huh.

"So hum... you're French?"

"Mmh mmh" I acquiesced.

"That's why your accent sounds that different." she stated.

Putting a hand on my chest, I immediately showed a shocked expression. "Ouch, are you insulting my accent?"

"No! Absolutely not, I lo-your accent is great! It's... exotic."

I laughed at that comment. "Pfff France? Exotic? We should organize a class trip to show you how it really is Miss Anderson."

How strange would it be if someone decided to go out right night, seeing us both on a bench in the darkness, laughing lightly?
Pushing that idea away, I decided to focus on the current situation, and the calm it was bringing me.