17 | confessions

Another week had passed and I was back to my worst self again. Grumpy, full of anger, cold and bitchy. I didn't even bother to eat it with the girls anymore, most of my free time have been spent at the lake.
A part of me wished that she would came again, stating how cold it was. But big news: she didn't, not once.

As I was secretly zoning out in history, her class, I heard Emily whispering my name.
Raising an eyebrow at her she quickly added "We're going on a school excursion."

Now opening my ears to what Miss Anderson was saying, I understood we were going to Manchester, visiting a school with whom we apparently had a partnership.

"We'll stay there the whole week and have organized activities centered on mathematics and history with this school's students."
Mathematics and history? What kind of trip was that?

"When is it?"I whispered to Emily, feeling like I had missed this information already.

"In two weeks."
I immediately knew it wasn't a good idea but kept it for myself, maybe wanting to discuss it with Derek before.

Knowing too well that nobody would be aware of that as everybody was sleeping, I let my feet direct me towards the lake instead of staying near the entrance of the building.
I could feel my socks getting humid because of the high grass but still continued until I loudly let my behind hit the shaky pontoon.

Fishes were creating sloppy sounds every now and then, as the wind was hovering me, not daring to touch my hot skin.
I remained still and quiet for a while, letting my thoughts invade my brain like a tsunami I couldn't escape.

Saying that I was surprised when someone sat next to me was an euphemism. After more than a week, that woman sat next to me again, looking mindlessly at the black water.
My first reaction was to be snappy at her, but for some reasons I couldn't find myself to.
So I waited until she decided to speak, looking to her hands with a strange expression.

"Sorry I didn't come often those past days." was what she lowly whispered, making me wonder if I was dreaming or something.
Clearly too emotional to answer I remained quiet.

"I... my sister left the country last week."

Finally finding my voice, I released a surprised "What?", making her look up at me. She was weak and hurt, I could see it in her eyes.

"She wanted to begin a new life somewhere else. She's in Germany now. I helped her settle and everything."

"Oh." I couldn't contain my surprise.
"How do you feel about it?"

Shrugging slightly, she diverted her eyes staying quiet for a few seconds.
"I just wonder why everybody leaves."
And with that my lips lightly parted, absolutely shocked about what just left hers. Showing me her profile, I could see she was at the verge of crying.

"That's not your fault." I stated being the most convincing I had ever been.

"I- I begin to think it is. I'm all alone now. All my family is gone. All my friends. I'm just... alone."
When the first tear left her eye I jumped on my knees and wrapped my arms around her soon shaking shoulders. I wasn't a hugger, I had no clue how to do it without making it awfully awkward, but right now, as she was releasing her sorrow against my clothes it felt more natural than ever. My arms were strongly clenched around her, being careful not to hurt her though, as her head fell onto my shoulder, her face hiding in my hair and her hands gripping the back of my shirt.