55| invincible

When I fell in deep sleep, a few days after Isabelle officially announced to our class we could participate to a trip to France, I plunged back into one of my several memories.
Here I was, little again, roaming in the sad streets of our neighborhood to join my house after school had ended.

I was rapidly walking back home, my head turned towards the sun that was already disappearing behind the houses while I was softly humming a song Miss Rose had taught us weeks ago.

"I'm home mommy!" I shouted, getting rid of my shoes and wondering if she was in the living room or her bedroom.

After a few seconds of calmly going through each room of the house I found her laying on the couch, eyes closed and chest moving very slowly.

"Finally." She groaned, resting the palm of her hand on her forehead.

"Do you feel sick?" I questioned in a childish voice, backing away a little when she eagerly sat up, her cold hands gripping mine so harshly that I thought for a second of the vampires stories the other children talked about in the playground. The kind of stories where pale people would drain all your energy by taking your blood. I was always so scared to go to sleep and wake up with two little holes on my wrists or neck.

"You need to do something for me again." She spoke, already turning me around so she could open my backpack and hide her things in it.

"I need to do homework first."

I wasn't the type to disobey, never, and when the words left my lips I knew she wouldn't like my behavior. I almost fell on my knees when she quickly made me face her again, showing me her angry eyes. Her heavy breath was tickling my face and I had to fight to not scrunch my nose.

"Miss Rose said I had to do my homework, or next time she would ask for an appointment with you. I know you're busy." I quickly said before she could shout at me.

She muttered a series of cursed words before her intense stare focused on me again. After a few other seconds she gave me a small nod, letting herself fall on the back of the couch.

"We'll do your homework together when you'll come back."

Her anger was now gone, leaving a sleepy expression on her face. She was very often tired.

My eyes lit up when I heard that she'd help me for the first time "Really? You promise?"

I observed her rolling her eyes, knowing that my annoying self was the reason behind it but I couldn't help it.
"I promise."

Squealing like a baby I jumped in her arms, a thing I usually didn't do with her but I always saw my classmates hug their parents, it was a way to show love my nice teacher once explained me.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" She groaned, surely too tired to push me away.

"I love you mom."

A heavy sigh left her lips, and I thought that was all the answer I could get. But after some more seconds of holding tight on her she actually replied.

"Yeah yeah I love you too. Now go."

With the biggest smile on my lips I ran out of the house, wanting to accomplish her request in the quickest way possible, just over excited about everything.

I thought it was the best day of my life.
How stupid.