63 | the law of nature

Isabelle's point of view

When I saw her name appear on my screen I knew I wouldn't like what would follow, but when her voice came to me with this tone I couldn't recognize it just confused me to where this sudden call was leading.
I was now rushing to our rendez-vous point between where we both previously were, my heart was pounding so hard in my chest it was almost hurtful.

I had spent the morning wandering in town, remembering the first poem she gave me and that was still waiting for me on my bedroom wall at school and I wondered if she still saw me like the woman she had described.

Fortunately we weren't too far away from each other and I arrived ten minutes later, completely out of breath.
My eyes spotted her at the entrance of the park, visibly as nervous as me as she kept jumping from one feet to another.

Please don't break up with me, I silently prayed when our gaze locked.

"Hi." She said, making me realize something about her was different. I couldn't tell exactly what, but I felt it was. And I just hoped it was for the best.

"Hi." I replied, feeling absolutely stupid and useless.

"Okay we should probably go somewhere where we won't be that exposed."

After that she quickly turned around, leading us a way into the park.
She stopped behind a huge tree surrounded by large plants that could entirely hide us.

"Was that really necessary?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow at this. It's not like it was outrageous to see two women having a conversation. It wasn't written on my forehead that I was her teacher.
But again, I didn't know where she would lead this conversation to so I nervously waited for her to talk, trying to find clues in her eyes that were staring at me.

She surprisingly moved way closer, taking my hands in hers which only froze me on the spot.

"I'm sorry Isabelle." She began sincerely.
"You have no idea how much sorry I am for hurting you. I really thought it would protect you from suffering but now I can see it's not helping and I- I just don't know what to do anymore. I realized way too late I never told you how much you actually mean to me, you are... the only person I'm longing to see in the morning and hold in my arms. I really trust you with my life but I acted like a child with you, letting you take care of me without truly taking care of you in return! And I feel so damn stupid for that because I- "

She stopped, softly smiling at me as her eyes began to tear up a bit.
I only frowned a bit more, trying to understand how that sentence would end. I was so clueless at that moment.

"Because I love you." was what left her lips after only a few seconds.

This time my fuming heart literally sunk in my chest. I definitely wasn't prepared for that.

Gosh I knew how scared she was of ever saying those three little words out loud again, but yet she had addressed them to me without a single drop of hesitation in her voice. Those words now became my favorite ones and for a poetry teacher that loved every single word that was something.

"I love you so much Isabelle, and I should have told you long time ago. But I was scared of a million things that could possibly go wrong and separate us. But I'm the one pushing you away again and I'm really sorry. I know there's surely no way you could forgive me and trust me again but-"

It took me a while to react but when I finally understood where this new sentence was going I stopped her, squeezing her hands uncontrollably against my crazy heart.