Chapter 4: familiar faces

Recap:

When we made it to the room, I looked in. It was filled with guys and women, sitting around, talking.

I made eye contact with someone. The familiar voice. My eyes widened and I whispered,

"Mikey"

...

Delaney

I stared at the man standing in front of me. He had aged well since the last time I saw him.

His body was toned with muscles. His broad frame stood about 6'2" tall. His once dark black hair was now dark gray. He had a few more scars and wrinkles. Overall, he looked healthy.

He stared at me for a while. No words were spoken between us. I could see it on his face that he knew who I was. Even after all these years, I was still the only one to call him Mikey.

Lieutenant Gabriel Michaels.

He was best friends with my dad. They grew up together and joined the military together. He was like a second dad to me growing up. They served together.

They were brothers. The last time I saw Mikey was my dad's funeral.

I was only 6 years old, but I could never forget the man that helped raise me.

11 years is a long time to not see our here from someone. I never held my situation against him. I missed him like crazy, though.

Tears ran down my face without shame.

I could tell that his team were staring at us. Probably curious as to how we knew each other.

I knew Miley was probably always serious with them. He used to be with everyone else, besides me.

Suddenly, I couldn't hold myself back anymore.

I ran and jumped onto him. Luckily he was strong enough to hold me up. I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and shoved my face in his neck.

He held me just as tightly. A hand rubbed my back slowly.

"Laney, sweetheart. I've missed you."

I chuckled, wiping my tears on my jacket.

"I missed you too, Mikey. How have you been? What've you been up to?" I questioned.

I climbed out of his arms, standing close and waiting for his answers.

"I've been well. I came here after I was discharged. I'm the Captain."

"No need to brag, Mikey." I teased with a giant grin.

He let out a deep laugh. I haven't heard him laugh since Dad died.

"Where've you been, sweetheart? How's everything going with you?" He asked in a concerned, fatherly tone.

"I've been everywhere." I muttered with an eye roll. I figured that answer wouldn't work with Mikey, so I continued.

"I've been in foster care for 11 years. I'm staying with Nathan's family currently."

"11 years with no home." He whispered to himself disapprovingly. Tears welled up in his eyes but he blinked them back, needing to stay strong in front of his team.

I gave him a tight hug, and pulled away with a reassuring smile. I didn't know what I was trying to convey, I just hoped it worked.

Suddenly, I was reminded that we weren't alone.

"So... um- how do you guys know each other?" A buff, bald man asked from his place at a table.

"This is Delaney. She's like a daughter to me. I love this girl more than life itself. Her dad was Lieutenant James Taylor." Mikey explained to the group.

Everyone's eyes went wide, including Nathan's. I didn't know whether it was because Mikey was acting so sweet and they weren't used to it or the fact that my dad was a soldier.

The silence was awkward. Nobody new what to saw and I didn't know most of the people here. I gave a look to Mikey and he started introducing.

The bald guy was named Tyler. There was a tall, skinny guy named Albert. A heavily tattooed guy named Caleb. His eyes pierced into mine. It felt like he could see my soul.

Creepy.

There was a lady who looked strong enough to snap me like a twig, named Jill. A cute short girl with a pixie cut named Amy.

"Hi" I gave everyone a small nervous wave. I must've looked cute because everyone chuckled, except Caleb.

Who are you kidding, Delaney, you're always cute.

...

We stayed and talked for a while, but I got hungry, so Nathan and I left, with a promise to Mikey that I'd visit soon and often.

We drove in peace this time. It didn't seem awkward, but rather comfortable.

"So, about last night" he started, "care to tell me what that was about?"

"Not really" I muttered quietly.

"I've seen PTSD before." He informed me.

"I don't have PTSD." I denied, even though I'd been diagnosed a year ago.

He didn't say anything after that. It was clear that he knew I did, but wasn't willing to fight.

...

We pulled up into the parking lot of a familiar diner. My favorite diner.

'Suzzie's'

"Man you're like psychic." I joked.

"Why?" He asked, confused.

"You reunited me with my second dad and picked my all time favorite diner for us to eat." I explained with a giggle.

"Oh. I guess I am psychic."

We went through the door and heard the bell ding, announcing our arrival.

I heard a gasp and another familiar voice yelling.

"Delaney!! Cupcake it's been so long!" She yelled and ran to me, squeezing me in a hug so tight I couldn't breath.

"Suzzie, can't...b-breath" I gasped for air as she quickly released me, still holding me at arms length.

"You're so talk deary. Why haven't you been back? I haven't seen you or Xavier in over a year!" She exclaimed, shaking her head in annoyance.

"I was moved again, so we met up in the middle. I couldn't make it here. But, I'm back for now, so we'll be around again, Suzzie." I explained to the elderly lady who stood in front of me.

I suddenly remembered that Nathan was with me.

"Oh Nathan, this is Suzzie, the owner. Suzzie, this is Nathan, my new foster brother." I introduced them.

Nathan went to shake her hand, but she pulled him in for a hug.

It was quite the sight. Nathan's 6' figure was hunched over Suzzie's 5' body.

I giggled.

Nathan and I went to a booth and ate. We discussed our favorite things and got to know each other. He's really sweet.

He told me all about his family and his work family, including Mikey.

I went home that night with a new happiness, and hope that tomorrow would be equally as amazing.