Chapter 27: ultrasounds

Delaney

I felt Xavier give my hand a reassuring squeeze as we walked nervously, together through the doors of the doctors office. We had our appointment today to see the baby and make sure it was healthy.

I was shaking with nerves. What if something was wrong? What if I did something to hurt the baby?

I blew out a breath and shook my head, willing the negative train of thoughts to leave. Instead, I focused on the present. The waiting room was full of different people. Pregnant older ladies gave me and Xavier judgemental looks as they watched us like hawks. The younger couples gazed over us without a care.

"Delaney Taylor," a nurse called out in the entrance of the waiting room. She wore a kind smile as we approached, Xavier walking slightly behind my pace.

"Right this way." She gestured for us to follow before leading us down a hallway of rooms. She stopped at one and showed us in.

I plopped myself down on the exam table as Xavier stood attached to my side. His hands were on my head and shoulders, caressing naturally.

"The doctor will be in shortly," the nurse spoke after taking my basic information.

I nodded with a smile at the kind lady, watching as she walked to another room.

When we were alone, I turned my head upwards and gave Xavier a ginormous grin. My cheeks felt like they were going to fall off, but I didn't care. I was too happy.

"I hope he has your cheekbones" i mused, running the tip of my finger over his face. He shivered lightly.

"I hope he has your hair. And eyes."

Knock knock

The doctor walked in and greeted us with a genuine smile.

"Hello I'm Dr. Wilson" he held his hand out to us.

"I'm Delaney, sir." I shook his hand then gestured to Xavier.

"Xavier," He spoke politely, while also shaking his hand.

"Ahh. Are you the father, Xavier?" He asked politely.

"I am" he replied proudly. I giggled at his enthusiasm into the back of my hand.

"Alright. I just need to ask some mandatory questions, then we'll do the ultrasound. That sound good?" He asked.

"Yep" Xavier and I replied simultaneously. The doctor chuckled at us.

"So, are you planning on keeping the baby? We can help with all options. There are resources available for support no matter your choice." He spoke kindly.

"Yes sir. We plan on raising the baby together." I answered without hesitation.

He nodded and took note of it in his file.

"Are there any genetic health problems in the family? Either family."

"Not genetically, I don't believe."

"Have you been taking vitamins?" He asked me directly.

"Yes" I answered with a strong nod.

The questions went on like that. They were simple.

"Alrighty, than. Let's get a look at your little baby." He got up and set the equipment up beside me.

"Lay back and lift your shirt up." He explained. I carefully laid back on the table and moved my shirt up to my bra.

"Okay this will be cold," he prepared me.

I flinched slightly at his hands close to me, still not used to random people touching me. My heart rate picked up and I tried to hide my shaking hands, feeling stupid for overreacting constantly.

Unfortunately, Xavier saw my shaking and incased my hands into his larger ones, stopping them from shaking. I flashed him a grateful smile and he returned it.

I jumped, slightly freaked out, when the doctor put the gel on my belly. He moved the wand around in, staring at the screen for a while.

"Ah-ha" he spoke, pointing to a blob on the screen. He turned it so that Xavier and I could see.

"There's your baby. Not too far along, but everything looks healthy. Would you like to hear the heartbeat?"

We both nodded quickly, our happiness probably suffocating the doctor.

Suddenly a thudding sound resonated through the air. It brought tears to my hormonal eyes instantly. I choked a sob.

I heard Xavier give out a breathy laugh and looked up to see his eyes also filled with tears.

The doctor went to wipe the gel off but I back up quickly, no longer liking the small exam room.

Xavier took the rag out of the doctor's hands and gently wiped my belly for me.

The doctor handed us each a copy of the ultrasound. I looked at it and got emotional again.

"Alright I'd like to see you again in a few weeks to see how everything's going, Delaney. If you have any trouble, come in quickly. Better safe than sorry." He advised, leading us to the nurses station where I made another appointment. I would be 12 weeks along by then.

•••

We walked out of the clinic, holding hands again. I swung them back and forth between us, happily.

"We made a tiny human. That's incredible!" Xavier continued to gush. He had been since he saw the ultrasound.

I giggled at him. It was absolutely adorable how much he loved the baby. I was so lucky to have him to raise this child with.

I stared at the ultrasound in my free hand, mesmerized by the baby that was a part of me.

Xavier stopped me in front of his car. I stood there confused until he got on his knees and held my waist closer.

"Hi little bean. It's your daddy. I'm so so happy. I promise to take care of you and Mommy." He murmured to my stomach quietly.

I sniffled again, cursing my hormones for all of my crying.

"Hey baby, can we stop and by some ice cream? And pickles? Do they have pickled flavored ice cream?" I rambled as he helped me into the car with amusement written all over his face.

I was surprised that none of the boys gave suspected anything, with my crying and constant cravings.

Nobody except for me, Xavier, and Scott knew about the baby. I didn't want everyone to know just yet. But I planned on meeting up with Josh and telling him. He was my best friend. I also wanted Mikey to know. Nobody even asked about the ring on my finger.

I smiled fondly at Xavier as he kissed my stomach.

"Let's go feed my babies."