Chapter 30: family

Delaney

I laid in my room listening to music. It was peaceful, so I could sort out my thoughts casually.

Mikey took my announcements just as well as Josh did. He was hugging me and talking about 'how excited he was to be a grandpa'. I still hadn't  told any of the boys–call it cowardice, but I didn't trust the twins with my secret and if I tell the other boys they could slip up easily around the house. I supposed they would all know when I started showing. Right now it was just a little mound.

As graduation approached, I grew more anxious. Xavier would he leaving for camp, and then could he deployed after that. I was pregnant and he could leave me alone. I was scared, but I wouldn't tell him that. I didn't want him to be worried. I wanted to be strong, for Xavier and the baby.

That didn't stop me from worrying, though. Some nights I cried myself to sleep, then woke up panicking from night terrors. I talked to my therapist about everything, she said that I should confide in someone–if not Xavier himself. That I needed to talk about what I was feeling.

Xavier and Jacob knew what they were going to do after graduation. I planned on going to college, but with a baby, I needed to change that. The plan was to take online classes. I was hoping to get an apartment, but I couldn't work along with take care of a baby and take classes.

Scott said that I was welcome to stay here—he was completely supportive, which I appreciated. It meant the world, having people willing to help me. Josh was already waiting to babysit. And Mikey was excited to be a second grandpa.

•••

I heard the heavy footsteps of boots approaching my bed. I turned my music off and removed my headphones.

Peering up curiously, I found Scott looking nervous. He had papers clutched tightly in his hands, and he looked like he was about to pass out.

"Are you okay...?" I asked, motioning for him to sit beside me on my bed. He did so hesitantly.

"Uh, yeah. I need to talk with you about something important."

I nodded encouragingly, waiting for him to explain.

"So, I know you'll be eighteen soon, and having a baby and everything. It's totally cool if you don't like this," he rambled nervously, not looking me in the eye.

"Huh?"

He passed me the papers that he had been clutching in a death grip. I looked down, reading them curiously.

'....authorize the adoption of Delaney Taylor by Scott Thomas.....'

I looked up at Scott, searching for any sign of a joke. His face looked beyond serious. Tears came to my eyes, which he immediately misunderstood.

"Oh, don't cry. It was a stupid idea. we totally don't have to do anything. You're still welcome to stay here–"

I cut off his take-back by lunging at him. I sobbed into his shoulder, holding him in a death grip, not wanting him to leave.

"Thank you," I choked out.

"For what, sweet girl?" He chuckled, hugging me back.

"Giving me a real family. I would love to be Delaney Thomas."

I was going to have a family. I always had my Dad, but when he was gone, I was alone in the world. Left to fight my own battles at age six. Now I would have brothers, aunts, uncles, and grandparents that I hadn't met yet. I'd met a few relatives, but not all of them. 

Of course I had my own family—the one I'd made over the years, filled with everyone I loved. Josh, Ryan, Xavier's family, Mikey. They all were my family. But being a Thomas made me feel like I belonged somewhere again. That was a feeling I hadn't felt since my Dad passed. Having a real home to going spend Christmas, or a place to bring my children back to and show them where my memories were made.

Scott made that feeling possible again.

He wiped his own tears, but more kept flowing constantly down his cheeks.

"Well, until I'm Delaney King, that is," I giggled at him, lightening the mood.

He chuckled with me.

"I'm going to file these and once everything goes through, it'll be official" he explained, moving to stand up from his spot.

"And I plan to speed the process up" he added with a wink.

"I love you" I spoke gently, giving him a meaningful look. I don't take those words lightly.

"I love you too, darling" he breathed out while sniffling back tears, hearing me say that for the first time.

He was about to leave when I realized that I had an important question to ask him still.

"Oh Scott?" I started.

He hummed and gave me his full attention again.

"Will you walk me down the isle when we eventually get married? Like with Mikey?" I twisted my fingers with anxiety, until Scott grabbed my hands and gave them a gentle squeeze. 

"I would be honored, my sweet girl. I told you that you were my girl, my daughter. You always will be. Mikey is like a second father to you. I get that and I'm not about to stand in your way."

"Graduations next week, are you nervous?" He asked, leaning against my door frame. He watched me carefully.

"About graduating? No. About Xavier leaving and starting a career where he might not come home one day? Hell yeah."

He gave me a look of pity, which I ignored and looked away from.

"Have you told Xavier how you feel?"

"What good would that do? I don't want him to feel guilty for doing what he feels is best." I spoke honestly.

"He'll know that. He knows you love and support him. But it's also understandable for you to be scared. You're pregnant and he could be deployed. That's tough, especially at a young age. Talking about how you feel might make you feel better–knowing he understands you better." He responded, before turning and leaving me to my thoughts once again.