Chapter 14: therapists

Delaney

I sat on the purple couch. My keys were crossed and my hands fidgeted, showcasing my anxiety.

Sara, my therapist, sat back, patiently observing me.

"So you didn't have a session scheduled for another week. What brings you in today, Delaney?" She asked politely.

"I've been have flashbacks and panic attacks. My sleep schedule is. I'm exhausted."

"Can you tell me what's caused this relapse?" She asked.

"I moved in with a new foster family like a month ago. I was really anxious because it's all men except the mother. But I'm okay with them now. I don't understand why they haven't gone back away. I am comfortable with everyone in the family, especially the dad, Scott. We play football together sometimes." I smiled.

"Maybe you still have unresolved conflict from what happened. Sometimes we're bound to change after that."

"Well I don't know. Xavier's the only constant in my life and I still have him." I stated confused.

"How's your relationship been the past year?" Sara questioned.

"Good. I love him. We go on dates and spend time together. He lives close so now we can see each other more." I grinned.

"What about physically?" She asked, unsure.

"Umm... w-we haven't had sex since. We make out and, uhh, do some stuff though." I explain awkwardly.

Who likes to talk about their sex life with their therapist?

"Are you planning on it? It's totally a personal thing. Some victims are fine to have sex and others aren't. Maybe you should think about where you are in your life, where your relationship is. Your nightmares and attacks are a battle you may fight for a while. What matters is having the support to get stronger. Fix any problems that may hold you back from getting stronger." She advised.

•••

The session lasted another thirty minutes going just like that. It was beneficial, though. I decided to do therapy for myself. I wanted to get better, to be strong and grow.

I wanted to keep my relationship with Xavier serious and happy.

I decided to listen to what Sara said, and overcome any problems that are holding back my growth.

Nightmares every night are exhausting mentally. I just want it to be over.

I headed out of the building and texted Maya that I was done. She gave me a ride this morning because everyone else was busy.

Over the past month, I got closer to the family. I didn't tell them about much of my past, but I wasn't flinching at every obscure hand gesture.

I'd say I was the closest to Scott and Nathan. The younger boys were with Maya a lot and the twins were always out. Luke had college he was busy with and Carter had parties to attend.

I learned a lot about the family. Scott and Maya owner a company. Don't ask what kind, I wasn't listening that closely. But they're CEOs, so the work is movable for the most part. That's where all of the money comes from.

Luke wants to be a lawyer, but if that doesn't work, he's going to take over the company. 

Nathan loves being a firefighter, so I don't see that changing any time soon.