Chapter 35: panic

Xavier
Trigger warning

Boot camp was intense. It broke me and put me back together again. I felt strong and more capable.

The one thing I missed was my family. My mom and my siblings, but mostly my babies.

My babygirl and the lil bean in her belly. I loved those two more than anything. I would do anything to give them the life that they deserved.

My girl deserves the world. Especially after everything that has been thrown at her. The past year alone was unbelievably difficult. But, like everything else, Delaney overcame it. She worked her little ass off and did therapy.

The baby has brought out a new light in her that I didn't even think she knew was there. She glowed whenever she talked to her tummy, or whenever I rubbed it.

I loved the happiness that shined in her eyes whenever we talked about a future with the baby. The idea of having a family that she helped create.

I knew she had her father for the first six years of her life, but she's went so long without anyone that I didn't know if she remembered what it felt like to be loved by a parent.

It's like this baby brought back a piece of her that nobody knew was missing. I golden piece of her heart that belonged to the baby inside of her.

I was currently in training with my sergeant and the other recruits, including Jacob. My phone started ring, which turned everyone's attention to me quickly. I told everyone that they couldn't call me during training because we weren't allowed. The Sargent gave me a look, letting me know I was in deep shit.

I picked up the phone without checking the ID, ready to yell at whoever it was.

"I told you not to call—"

My yelling was cut short by muffled sobs. I instantly knew who it was, making my heart drop.

"Sweetheart? What's wrong?" I asked gently but urgently. I could hear other voices in the background, making me even more nervous.

By this point, I had the prying eyes of every Sargent, Commander, and recruit on me. Jacob had come up behind me, in silent support.

"C-can you c-come home?" She asked in between sobs. Her broken voice was killing me, knowing that I couldn't be there to help.

"What happened, babygirl?" I urged her.

"The baby...he's–I'm so sorry" she trailed off. My eyes pricked with tears, not even caring that I was around a bunch of soldiers. I knew what she was trying to say without hearing the words.

"Oh sweetheart. It's not your fault. I'll be home as soon s as I can, okay? Do you have someone there with you?"

I wanted to ask her what happened. But I didn't want to hurt her even more. She could've had a panic attack without me there to calm her down.

Right now all that mattered was her safety and comfort.

"Josh is here. But please hurry Xavier," she begged helplessly.

"I promise. I love you, sweetheart," I whispered brokenly, not bothering to wipe the tears from my cheeks.

"I love you too"

I collapsed into Jacobs arms as sobbed racked my body. He rubbed my back and held me from falling.

I felt like my world had been tilted sideways.

The loss of a child is a catastrophic pain to anyone, but I knew how much this was going to destroy Delaney. She was so happy to have a baby. To take care of and love someone the way nobody had done for her for so long.

"What happened buddy?" He asked gently.

"The baby. She lost him." I choked out in between sobs. I didn't have to explain to Jacob because he already knew about the baby. He was the only person, besides my family, that I told.

"I'm so sorry. How's Delaney? You need to get back to her." He ramble out.

"She didn't sound good. I need to get back ASAP." I wiped my tears and collected myself.

I knew she'd need me back there with her. Josh may be fine, but nobody shared the loss with her besides me.

Once I felt ready, I marched over to the Sargent Major. He gave me a curious look, as did everyone else around.

He looked around, noticing everyone's attention was on us.

"Alright, BACK TO WORK." He ordered out loudly, before focusing his attention solely on me.

He raised a stern eyebrow at me, waiting for an explanation.

"I need leave, Sir." I explained nervously.

"We don't let recruits leave training." He responded.

"Sir, my fiancé just lost our baby. I really need to be with her." I spoke honestly.

His eyes softened considerably, but still remained stern and authoritative. I waited for his denial, prepared to leave no matter the repercussions.

"Alright, to be with her. She'll need you. But you'll have to make up for the training you'll miss." He spoke.

"Thank you Sargent Major, I appreciate it," I spoke gratefully.

"Take care if yourself and your girl, you'll both need each other. I'm sorry for your loss, King." He said gravelly.

I nodded in thanks and made my way back to the bunks. Jacob patted my back in support on the way.

"Tell shortie I'm sorry, and to let me know if she needs anything at all." He spoke compassionately.

•••

Tears raced down my face the whole way home. I was angry, frustrated.

How did I let this happen? I should've protected her–them. I was suppose to protect them. It was my job and I failed them.

I hunched over in my seat. I shoved a fist in my mouth trying to conceal my sobs. Trying to let my misery drown out the world.

When I ran out of energy to cry, I stood up and got myself together.

Delaney needed me now more than ever.

___________________

AUTHORS NOTE

Comment what you think Delaney should be... nurse, field medic, psychologist, etc. I need ideas! It would be helpful! Thank you!

I have a few ideas but I'd like input!