Chapter 11: losses

Delaney

Sloppy kisses on my cheek woke me up Saturday morning.

I felt around for the source before my hand hit fur.

Milo

The little rascals was my new best friend. He went everywhere with me. He was a perfect support dog.

He'd calmed me down during a panic attack I had one night, making sure I was okay afterwards.

Today he was accompanying me to visit Mikey at his fire station. We were planning on going to talk and catch up.

He had missed a lot of years of my life, so there was a lot to catch him up on. I wasn't sure how much I should tell him.

I hoped he had a good reason for never looking for me. Maybe I didn't mean enough to him, but that didn't seem like the Mikey I knew. The one who spent hours playing hide and seek with me constantly.

I blocked out my thoughts and decided to get up.

I picked out striped pants and a white top. I didn't stop to look in the mirror until I got the outfit on. Knowing that I'd get upset with what I saw.

I skipped makeup for the day, knowing that I wouldn't need any in a fire station.

I attached Milos leash to his blue collar and grabbed a piece of cake for breakfast.

Gotta keep it healthy.

I didn't have any car to drive so I figured we would walk. The station's not far from the house.

I stopped at Suzzie's to buy coffee. Scott and Maya left a debit card in my room the other day, with a note telling me to use it for anything.

Umm...ok?

I probably wouldn't use it much. I didn't like owing people anything. But I wanted to bring coffee in to Mikey and everyone else.

I bought 8 coffees, hoping that would be enough for everyone. I just picked different kinds hoping everyone would like one of them.

Carrying the two holders and Milo's leash on my arm, I made the rest of the short walk.

...

I walked through the station doors shortly after.

There were noises everywhere. I was making my way through the kitchen to find Mikey when I was approached by a lady with dark hair. She was skinny and kind looking.

"Hi sweetie, what can I help you with?" She spoke to me like I was 5 years old, in a very belittling tone.

Hmph

"I'm looking for Captain Michaels." I spoke in an authoritative and professional tone.

"I'm sorry, he's not a fan of guests just walking through his station. Might want to run alone before he puts you in your place, sweetie." She batted her eyelashes and waved her hand.

I merely chuckled under my breath and stepped around her, ignoring the demands to stop, and made my way through the kitchen.

"Ahh, my sweet girl." Mikey grinned at me, jumping to his feet to meet me in a hug when I found him just past the kitchen.

I sat the coffees I brought onto the table in the middle of the room, between everyone who was there.

"I brought coffee." I stated.

Everyone, including Nathan, got a coffee. I knew everyone here from when Mikey introduced us.

Tyler Green, the big guy with a shiny head. Albert Whild, the skinny genius boy. Caleb Johnson, the tattooed muscle man. And Jill Capri, the really buff lady.

They all seemed better than the bitchy lady out front.

I rolled my eyes when I heard her annoying voice appear behind me.

"Hey, Captain! I'm sorry about the little girl. I tried to stop her but she wouldn't listen. Do you want me to her her taken outside?" She though it was started as a question, her tone implied a demand.

"Pam, this is my niece, Delaney. She's to be treated with respect at all times. Understood?" He questioned firmly, leaving no room for argument.

I stifled a giggle at her shocked face. She was pretty enough, but to overwhelming.

I saw Nathan holding in a laugh as well. When 'Pam' left the room, Nathan let out a loud laugh.

I sipped on my coffee and looked up at Mikey with a small grin.

He chuckled, then noticed my new companion.

He bent down and looked at Milo before turning his gaze to me, questioningly.

"This is Milo, he's a support dog."

"Who's is he?" Tyler asked curiously.

"Mine." I smiled at him kindly.

"Why do you need a support dog? What's wrong?" Mikey questioned worried.

"Nothing. He just helps me stay calm when I need it." I inform everyone.

He looked speechless, like he wanted to ask something but didn't know how.

"She has PTSD related symptoms, but swears she doesn't have it." Nathan so helpfully imputed.

"Oh?" Mikey said in a questionable tone.

I glared at Nathan and suggested to Mikey that we left, so we did.

...

"So tell me everything I've missed." Mikey demanded quietly as we walked through the local park.

"Lots of families, schools, houses, councilors, and stories." I chuckled nervously at the thoughts of everything I'd been through.

"Why did you move so much? Were the families nice?" He asked.

I glanced up at him with a look, telling him the answer he already knew. I took a few breaths before answering.

"I moved for different reasons. Some didn't work out. They didn't want me anymore. Others were.... worse. I was pulled for my own safety and replaced." I explained.

He face pulled into a frown.

"What happened?" He asked hesitantly.

"Uh... t-they were- they were abusive. Different ways. I was starved and hit and beat. One family whipped me. My back is covered in scars."

"Was that what caused the PTSD?" He asked.

"Part of it." I muttered.

He looked scared to know. I didn't think he'd ask.

"What's the rest?" He whispered painfully.

I didn't want to answer. I've never talked about this to anyone, besides Xavier, the police, and the doctors.

I didn't want anyone to know. To look at me with those pitying eyes. Xavier never gave me that look.

That's why I loved him. He understood me. He felt my pain and I felt his as if it was my own.

"One family was really bad." I muttered looking down at Milo by my side. He had gotten closer to me, rubbing his head on my legs, sensing my pain and discomfort.

He left my answer as it was. He didn't push. I hoped to tell him my problems one day.

My therapist said it would be good to talk about, but I couldn't tell Mikey at this exact moment. The words were lodged in my throat painfully.

"So you do have PTSD than?"

"Yeah I was diagnosed officially a year ago. I'm working on it." I assured.

This seemed to put him at ease. The tension seemed to be nonexistent between us, even after all these years.

We caught up about everything else. We went to a restaurant and ate dinner together, laughing and joking like old times.

Years and miles had passed between us but nothing was able to ruin our bond.

I'm glad to have him back. It's like a piece of my dad.