Chapter 23: girls' day part 2

Delaney

When we got back to the my house, there was nobody around, so we had the place to ourselves. Still, we ended up chatting in my room.

"So I went on a date with this guy. I don't remember his name but it was a disaster. We got to this expensive restaurant that he wanted. Then afterwards, he goes 'oh I must've forgotten my wallet at home. You mind?' And I just stared at him for a while, hoping to make him disappear with my eyes." Maria gossiped.

We all laughed at her awful date story.

"I've never been on a date." Cara muttered. She sounded embarrassed about it.

"Don't feel bad. That just means you don't have these horribly embarrassing stories. You'll get out there and meet a guy who's great to you and forget all about lame high school boys." I said.

"Thanks, Laney." She grinned.

I laughed, then suddenly slapped a hand over my mouth and rushed to the bathroom. I hunched over the toilet and dry heaved until it was painful. My throat burned and my mouth was parched.

I felt hands holding my hair and rubbing my back until I sat on the floor and leaned against the bathtub.

"Are you sick?"

"You seemed fine a few minutes ago." The girls stated confused.

"I was throwing up earlier. And a few days ago. But I always feel fine a while afterwards." I answered them, also confused.

We stared at each other, trying to figure it out, until I connected the dots.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the calendar. My period was suppose to start a week ago. I haven't been late since I was in the hospital.

I couldn't be....right?

It would explain the vomiting or the filling out of my stomach.

I ran into Scott's bathroom, hoping Maya had left a test in here before she passed.

I found one hidden in the back of their cabinet.

Hurrying back into my own bathroom, I opened the plastic. The girls caught on to what I was doing and stared at me with wide eyes.

I peed on the stick, set the timer on my phone, and waited.

"You think your....." Cara whispered, trailing off.

I nodded my head barely. Once the time was up, I went back to the counter by the sink to look.

I close my eyes and took a huge breath of air. Finally gaining the courage, I looked down.

Pregnant.

Tears ran down my face. I didn't know what for. I've always wanted kids, someday with Xavier when we both have careers and a home.

What if he left me? He's my only home in this world. My heart navigates the storms by finding his.

But, I already fell in love with the peanut growing inside of me. A little miracle. I can be a better mother than my own. I rubbed my stomach, making a silent promise.

I walked out of the bathroom and found the girls on my bed, waiting for me. I forgot they were here.

Oops?

"So?" Maria prompted.

"False alarm. Must've ate something bad." I lied.

It wasn't that I didn't trust them, but I didn't enough to tell them this. Especially not before Xavier.

So, I texted Xavier.

Delaney:
Come over, ASAP.

Xavier:
Omw, babygirl.

We take every 'ASAP' seriously. That's code for 'get your ass here. This ain't a drill'.

"Hey I hate to cute this short, but I'm not feeling well so...." I trailed off, not wanting to seem rude, but needing them gone.

Well that sounded rude.

"Yeah, no problem." Maria spoke.

"Feel better, girl." Cara followed.

They both made their ways out. I listened to their disappearing footsteps.

•••

Not long after the girls left, Xavier pulled in. I sat on my bed, anxiously biting my fingers.

My nails were too pretty to ruin.

He let himself in since the door was already unlocked. When he got to my door, I already had tear tracks down my face.

I had the test in my hand tightly.

"Hey sweetheart" he murmured unsurely. He approached me.

"Hey"

When he got close enough, I quickly shoved the test in his hands, instantly closing my eyes tightly. I didn't want to see his reaction.

It was silent for several moments.

"You- we're having a baby, sweetheart?" He asked quietly. I silently nodded my head.

I looked in his eyes and saw unshed tears. My heart broke.

He's going to leave.

He's going to leav- I was cut off by Xavier embracing my waist in a hug.
He kept his head on my stomach and his hands rubbed circles on my hips.

He kissed my stomach lightly then looked up at me with tearful eyes. He rarely cried, and he never does in front of others.

"We're having a baby!" He cheered at me, helping me to breath again.

He wasn't leaving.

He picked me up and spun me around.

"Xavier! Put me down!" I shrieked.

When he did, I sprinted to the bathroom and landed back by the toilet.

"Oh I'm sorry babygirl" He muttered remorsefully. His big hand on my back felt amazing.

When I felt done, he carried me back to bed, ignoring my requests to set me down.

"I'm going to take care of you, both of you." He kissed my forehead slowly.

I felt a cheesy grin creep into my face.

"I love you, baby." He spoke. 

"Will you still love me when I'm fat and moody?" I asked, a frown now prominent on my face.

"Of course."

"Good because I could get kicked out by Scott and end up on your doorstep.

"No matter what happens, you'll be okay. We'll be okay." He whispered, tucking me in.

I let his gentle words ease my worried heart, resting in temporary bliss I knew wouldn't last.