Chapter 45: one more time

"Promise you'll come back to me," I whispered the command gravely into Xavier's chest

He was being deployed. Tomorrow.

Only a month ago had he been completed with his training and everything else. Now, he was leaving.

"I won't make that promise. But I will promise to try my hardest to get back to you," he held me tightly as we laid together in our bed.

This was the last night we'd be sleeping in this apartment together.

He was going to be gone, and soon I planned to move into my house. Everything would be okay.

I kept telling myself that. Hoping that it was true. But I couldn't know.

"I love you," I whispered in a tired voice, while drifting off to sleep for one last peaceful night.

"I love you too."

••••••••••••

I laid in bed early the next morning. Staring.

I physically couldn't get my body to move in any way. It was like i was stuck in a trance, parallelizing me.

If I moved, Xavier would wake up. If he woke up, everything was real.

He was really leaving.

I couldn't imagine spending the next months of my life consumed in the terror that I would open the door to soldiers telling me I would never see him again.

Suddenly, I hear a deep groan underneath me. My chest rumbled with his newly awoken breathing.

He stretched his arms out above us, shifting me on his chest.

"Morning, sweetheart."

His morning voice was rich and deep, making my insides quiver with anticipation and need.

I turned my gaze to study him. Memorize every last detail of his face.

The bushy brown eyebrows that still managed to be trimmed neatly around the edges.

The dark little freckles that were scattered along the bridge of his nose and his cheeks.

The dusty rose colored blush that tinted his tanned skin. His cheeks were spook to my fingers. His skin felt freshly moisturized constantly, even when he just washed it.

His cheekbones were high and prominent, accenting his rich, gorgeous face.

His jawline was sharp. It begged the attention of his every admirer.

Trust me, there were a lot.

Each detail of his face was carved to perfection. The valleys and mountains rose and fell like individual artworks coming together to create a masterpiece.