Chapter 38: surprise

Delaney

"What happened? Is something wrong?!" I asked frantically.
I forgot all about the Thomas', running back to my car. I fumbled to get my key out and unlock the door. Once I did, I started the engine, setting the phone in the holder on speaker.

"Just get here quickly. It'll make sense when you see" he trailed off sounding anxious. There was an underlying tone to his voice that I'd never heard before.

Before I could question him further, I heard the line cut. He hung up on me.

I huffed our an angry breath, frustrated as I drove the familiar roads to Josh's mansion.

Not long after, I was pulling up in front of his place. Nothing looked abnormal. Everything seemed to be quiet and there didn't look to be anyone around.

Weird

I killed the engine and gathered my bag. I slowly stepped out, cautiously approaching the front.

I knocked hesitantly, standing back a bit. I waited for someone to open the door. Nobody came.

Eventually, I got tired of standing there and got my phone out to call Josh. Just as I did, I got a text.

Joshie
Walk right in. The doors unlocked.

I scoffed in my head, irritated. He couldn't have mentioned that twenty minutes ago?

I turned the doorknob and stepped through, shutting it behind me. The lights were off inside, making everything dark. Nearly impossible to see.

I reached over to the wall and flicked the light switch upwards.

"SURPRISE!"

I jumped a foot in the air, turning back around with a hand over my heart, trying to steady my breathing.

I gave a weary look to the crowd that was formed in front of me.

My eyes instantly connected with grey ones. They held a warm look coated with excitement.

Next to him was Josh, Ryan, Jacob. The rest of Josh's gang was there too. Or should I say 'legal business'. But everyone knows it's not totally legal.

They were good people anyways.

I gave a bright smile to the crowd, but looked at Josh with a questioning look.

Him and Xavier moved to stand in front of me directly.

"What's all this?" I asked them softly.

"Did you really forget what today was, sweetheart?" Xavier chuckled softly, bringing me into a tight embrace. Josh snorted out a laugh at my expense.

"Huh?" I muttered to them, still confused.

"It's your eighteenth birthday, kiddo." Josh explained through laughs.

My mouth instantly formed an 'o' and my eyebrows drew together.

I forgot my own birthday.

For years, I never celebrated because I was in awful environments. There were times I'd had good birthdays. But they were few and far between.