Chapter 16: doctors and nurses

Delaney

The beeping of my heart monitor became my silence for a week after the accident.

I listened to the gossip that the nurses would tell me. They were cool, like my own friends. Leah was my favorite. She was a nurses assistant and closest to my age.

The doctors were nice too. So, when none of my visitors were in, I spent time with the doctors and nurses, talking like I was one of them.

It was pretty cool.

We were all sitting around the cafeteria today. I was about to be discharged. The perky nurse named Tiffany was talking.

"So I found out that I'm pregnant. But the baby daddy's married. So, yeah." She explained casually.

Nobody spoke.

"I-ugh. Congrats?"

I broke the awkward silence.

Nobody had a chance to comment, before another voice was heard.

"Laney!" I turned and saw Mikey walking towards our group.

"Hi Mikey!" I smiled brightly. Being with these people really cheered me up, even Tiffany.

"Hey, I'm here to discharge you and get you back for Scott." He explained.

I got up and walked beside him after saying goodbye to everyone and promising to text them.

Mike signed the papers discharging me, at the front desk.

"Alright. Time to hit the road."

"Woah, old man. You need to update your expressions." I chuckled, warning a glare from Mikey.

When we got to his truck, he helped me in so that I didn't tear any stitches. The burns on my back were mostly healed, with only scars left to remind my. The time in the hospital really helped me heal, in more ways than one.

When Mikey got in the drivers seat, he turned towards me with a bright smile on his face. Wrinkles appeared at the corners of his eyes, showing the years on him.

I returned the smile and turned the music up, singing along. Mikey joined in on the singing. I laughed at his awful voice, as he belted out the lyrics incorrectly. Soon enough, we were both laughing.

He pulled his truck into the driveway, and turned off the engine. We sat in silence for a few moments, neither of us knew what to say.

"I'm really glad you're okay, kiddo. I've got years to make up for in your life, and I intend to be there for the next many to come. You've always been family to me, my little niece, and you're all I've got left." He started tearing up, not trying to hide it at all.

I brought my tiny hand up to his rough face and wiped his tears. I gave him a reassuring smile.

"You can't get rid of me that easily, old man."

He chuckled.

I opened the door and jumped out. That was a mistake. The pain I felt burn through my back and stomach reminded me that I shouldn't move quickly.

Probably should remember that.

"I love you, Mikey." I waved at him, starting to close the door.

Before it closed completely, I heard him clearly say,

"I love you too, kiddo." With a proud smile on his face.

I listened to the sound of his trucks engine as he backed out of the driveway and took off down the road. I opened the unlocked door and stepped inside carefully.