Chapter 21: overcoming

_____________________

______________

"She was afraid of men,
sin and the humors
of the night.
When she saw a bed
locks clicked
in her brain.

She screwed a frown
around and plugged
it in the keyhole.
Put a chain across
her door and closed"

- Maya Angelou

______________

_____________________

Delaney
March 5, 2018
Trigger warning

I was with Xavier, again. It had been a while since the fight. Everyone was treading carefully around each other in the house, which made for very awkward days. Scott didn't seem mad anymore, but rather remorseful. He always looked like he wanted to talk to me, but hasn't since that night. We make small talk -about Ben and the other boys- but don't really talk. I don't know what to say. Do I apologize? Do I wait for him to apologize?

So, rather than stay around the house and hear the awkward conversations or feel the tension between everyone, I spent my free time with Xavier or Cara and Maria. They were nice and fun to be around. I learned that they have become best friends thanks to me. We hung out a few times, and FaceTimed during some nights. But, Xavier was my best friend, forever and always. Milo always tagged along with me, wherever I went.

•••

We were alone in Xavier's room. Everyone in his family was out somewhere. Maxine and Momma King were at the store shopping for something secretive. They wouldn't say what, or even give hints. Trust me, we asked.

The twins were off with their college friends. Apparently, they ran with the same crowd.

So we had the house to ourselves.

We were laying around, cuddled up. My finger traced the tattoos on his bare chest. I loved his body. Every muscle constricted whenever I touched him.

I remember when I lost my virginity. He was slow and gentle. I watched his muscles move. He was a work of art, especially propped above me.

Feeling him around me used to be something I craved constantly. But a year ago, the peace and love that came with that was ripped away from me.

"Do you miss it?" I whispered.

"What?"

"I miss making love. I miss having you fill me up and love me roughly, passionately." I answered. I kept my eyes trained on his perfect abs.