Chapter 8: adjusting

Delaney

Delaney

I followed Xavier into his house. It Hadn't changed at all. The last time I was here was over a year ago when I visited him.

Their home always felt welcoming. It was painted with soft colors and comfortable pictures lined the walls.

I never got to meet Mr. King, but I felt like I had just from the pictures and the stories I heard of him.

Chatter was heard from the living room as we walked in there.

When I got to the doorway, all conversation stopped.

Suddenly, I heard a piercing scream and I was attacked by multiple sets of arms.

I felt Maxine's small arms around my hips and Zander's heavy arms around my head and shoulders. The scream was from Maddy so the last set of arms must belong to her.

i wonder where Diane is.

"Oh my gosh! When did you get here?" Maddy questioned.

"Couple days ago." I answered with a kind smile.

Zander and Maddy were a year older than Xavier so they were going to college not far from here.

They were like siblings I never had. Diane was like the mother I never knew I needed.

"Are you staying Laney?!" Maxine bounced while questioning.

"I am for now."

"MY BABY!" I heard Diane stream from the doorway. She made her way to Xavier and then passed him quickly, moving to hug me.

I hugged her back. The feeling of her motherly arms comforted me.

...

After we were done hugging, we all moved to sit on the couches.

I sat in Xavier's lap comfortable. We were on the chair.

Diane and the twins were on the couch across from us. Maxine sat on the floor.

"So who are you living with now?" Zander asked me.

"The Thomas family. They have 7 sons. It's a nice house. They seem decent." I concluded.

"So you're safe?" Maddy asked, concerned.

"You guys will be the first to know if I'm not." I said.

They were the first people to know the last time things got violent, or Xavier was.

...

After talking to the family for a while, Xavier and I went upstairs to his room.

The walls were blue and the bed was made neatly.

I took a seat on the bed and looked up to Xavier. He came towards me and moved my onto his lap, laying down.

I listened to his heartbeat. It was slow and soothing. This was always my favorite thing. My home was in his arms.

We stayed like that for a while. We talked quietly.

Even though we met up recently, I always enjoyed spending time with him. We could talk about everything or not talk about anything at all.

Sometimes we simply enjoy each other.

"Love, do you remember me telling you about Mikey?" I questioned quietly.

"Your fathers best friend. Yeah I remember. Why?"

"My oldest foster brother, Nathan, took me to the fire station where he works to introduce me. Turns out Mikey is actually his Captain." I grinned into his chest.

His one hand was running through my hair and the other rubbed circles on my back.

"That's great, baby. I'm so happy for you." He whispered.

"Mmhm." I hummed, slowly becoming drowsy.

"Hey, sweetheart, you can't go to sleep. Shhh, I know. I need to take you home. I'm sorry baby." He picked me up. My arms wrapped around his neck and my legs wrapped around his waist.

He made his way downstairs, past his family who all wished me a goodnight in the way. I was too tired to respond so I gave a small wave over Xavier's shoulder.

He sat me in the passengers seat and buckled me up before getting in and driving me back to the Thomas' house.

"How have you been sweetheart? Bad terrors? Any flashbacks lately?" He asked concerned.

"A few flashbacks, nothing major. Umm the night terrors are still there. Nathan bursted into my room last night and saw me having a panic attack. Seemed certain yesterday that I had PTSD." I chuckled humorlessly.

"Did you tell him that's what the doctors said?" He asked.

"No I denied it. I don't want more questions. I might tell Mikey. I don't know. It's still so hard to talk about." I told him while wiping my tears.

"I know, Laney. You don't have to do anything you don't want to." He assured me, while pulling into the driveway.

He got out and opened my door for me. When I was out, u wrapped my arms around his waist.

He hugged me back with his face in the crook of my neck.

We stayed that was for several minutes, just enjoying being with each other.

I leaned up and gave him a deep kiss. He pulled away after a minute, holding my face in his hands.

"Good night sweetheart. Call me if you need me, for anything. It doesn't matter how late it is. Okay?"

"Okay."

He gave me a long, sweet kiss on my forehead, holding his lips there for longer than necessary.

"I love you."

"I love you."