Chapter 48: chances and choices

I was sitting with Scott on the couch after our heart-to-heart

I was sitting with Scott on the couch after our heart-to-heart. We had talked a bit more after we cleared the air.

The twins were sent to a facility with doctors helping them to cope with the loss of their mom, and their own mental health issues. They we're going to be taking online classes there, while getting the help that they needed.

The peace was comfortable, for once. I was happy that we worked everything out, for the most part. The Thomas family meant everything to me.

And with Xavier being away, not knowing if or when I may ever see him again, I knew that I needed my family close to me.

My eyes were focused on the screen as some random movie played, but my mind was all over the place. My only anchor back to reality was Scott's hand rubbing my arm soothingly as his arm rested over my shoulder. My head laid against his shoulder.

After what felt like a few minutes, loud footsteps trampled through the front door, slamming it shut behind them.

"Dad, we're home!"

And, just like that, the peace and quiet turned into an assortment of boys yelling and shoving each other as they made their way to the living room, where we were.

Scott didn't once change his position, so I remained laying against him, basking in the safety I felt.

I could feel people standing over us. They were basically breathing down my neck, making me want to shove them back.

Personal space?

"Delaney?" I heard Dakota say. His voice sounded confused but hopeful.

"Hey, Kota," I grinned back at him.

He gave me a warm smile, coming over to hug me quickly before stepping back in line with the others.

A little body launched itself into Scott and my lap. I looked down at Ben grinning mischievously back up at me.

"Hey, Benny," I tickled his sides quickly, loving the joyous giggle that he made.

The rest of the boys weren't as easy to greet.

Luke and Carter stood awkwardly. They looked like my presence made them squirm.

Seemed like a personal problem to me.

I swear I saw Carter swallow nervously, clear across the room.

I was done being run out of my own home by them–no matter how uncomfortable it was.

It was time to stand up for myself.

Xavier needed me to be strong here, while he was being strong over there.

"Hi Luke, Carter," I greeted them with a bright smile.

"Hey Ben, why don't you and I go grab some ice cream?" Scott asked the boy, knowing how I wanted to speak with the boys. We talked about this before.

Ben jumped off of us and ran to the door, eager for the ice cream. He was practically jumping in excitement.

Scott got up slowly. He turned to me, silently asking if I was alright. I gave him a reassuring look, making sure he knew I was fine. He leaned down and kissed my temple , holding the other side of my head in his hand.

Then, he was gone.

The four of us sat there, not sure what to say. Frankly, I had a lot to say, but I wanted them to start this.

They started the whole mess, and I knew I deserved a apology.

"Delaney, I-I'm sorry," Carter mumbled, looking embarrassed.

Was sorry enough? I didn't know if one word was enough to forgot all the loneliness and pain I felt because of them.

They abandoned me. They left me to grieve–with Xavier and Josh there to pick up the pieces of the mess they left.

I looked up at Carter, my eyes misty with tears. I wanted to forgive them, but it was hard to overlook.

"You know how badly you hurt me? Both of you," I looked at Luke too, making sure he knew this was directed at the both of them.

Carter looked down, avoiding eye contact. He was off to college now, and I didn't want to leave this unresolved while he was gone.

I wanted him to know I was back here, supporting his dreams. And I wanted to know he had my back, always.

Luke stepped forward, crouching down on the ground in front of me on the ground. He held both of my hands, looking at me intently.

"I am so so sorry, Delaney. I–there aren't words to describe how badly I feel about what I said to you. About how I left you alone when you needed me. All of us. I just felt like it was impossible for my own brothers to do something like that to you. To your innocent baby. It was disgusting to think about. So I didn't. I buried myself in my school work like I always do, and ignored everything else. I'm sorry that I didn't take the time to realize how badly you were hurt. It was easier to pretend nothing happened, and blame you for it," he chocked out a sob, still keeping eye contact with me.

"I'm sorry. I love you so much, Delaney. You're my baby sister–by blood or not. I'm sorry," he finished. His eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks covered in tears.

I pulled him up, so that we were both standing. Then, I hugged him tightly, wanting to forget about that awful time. I just wanted to move on.

I felt another pair of arms around us. Carter.

"I'm sorry too. I just didn't know what to do. How to understand what they did. It didn't seem real. I hope you can forgive us one day because I love you," Carter breathed out.

I chuckled into the hug, my face covered in tears too.

"I forgive you guys. I just want to move on,"

I wanted to start the next chapter of my life with my family behind me.

And I wanted to do something meaningful with the life and love I was given. To give other kids going through what I went through, a home of their own. A place to feel safe and loved.

Everyone deserves a home.

_______________

LIKE, COMMENT, SHARE:)

Thank you so much for the support! I love you all!

I'm sorry this update took so long. I couldn't figure out how I wanted this scene to play out. Hope you enjoy!