Chapter 19: seashells

Delaney

Delaney

I woke up surrounded by warmth. My head was rested on something entirely too comfy to be a pillow. I stirred, becoming more alert.

When I felt muscular arms around me, I started to shake. Tears clouded my vision and I tried to get out of the strange arms.

My attempts were futile and I eventually gave up my fight.

"Shhh....sweetheart. It's just me, open those pretty eyes." A tired voice cooed at me.

I recognized the voice and instantly felt ashamed and stupid for my outburst. My cheeks heated up with embarrassment.

"Sorry." I muttered pathetically. I kept my eyes on the blanket around us, as if it was the most interesting blanket in the world. I picked at the tiny pieces of lint stick to it.

"Nothing to apologize about, sweetheart." Xavier assured me, only slightly easing my embarrassment.

I decided to stop making a full out of myself and got up. I noticed we were no longer on the couch where I remember falling asleep. We were both in Xavier's bed. He must have carried my to bed after I fell asleep.

I suddenly remembered that I couldn't just decide to sleep over at my boyfriend's house randomly anymore. Scott was probably pissed, or worried, or both.

I grabbed my phone from its spot in Xavier's stand. I swung my legs out of the covers that were still wrapped around Xavier. He looked tired still, so I decided to let him sleep more. I walked into his bathroom and dialed Scott's number, after shutting the door so that I didn't wake anyone up.

Scott:
"Where have you been, young lady?! I've been worried sick. You weren't here when I got home and you didn't answer any texts!"

His tone kind of scared me, so I hoped he couldn't hear my voice shake when I responded.

Delaney:
"I'm sorry. I went over to Xavier's and we watched movies instead of going out. I fell asleep last night. Sorry."

Scott:
"This isn't over. I expect you home in 10 minutes."

He hung up before I could respond. I rushed back into Xavier's room, rushing to get my pants on. I tripped over the pant leg and face-planted onto the floor.

Unfortunately, there was no time to worry about my bloody nose. I rushed around and picked up all of my stuff. When everything was ready, I looked at what I ended up wearing.

I was in jeans and Xavier's huge T-shirt he gave me last night. I guess this will do. It's like a classy-trash look. A good balance.

Looking at my phone, I saw that I only had 7 minutes to make it. Deciding that waking Xavier would take too long, i wrote him an adorable note and left it on his stand.

I jogged as quietly as possible down the hallway and out the front door, but stopped to wave quickly at Xavier's mom who was cooking. She looked confused but just waved back, rather than questioning.

Probably easier.

After making it onto the sidewalk, I broke into a full-blown sprint. My lungs heaved and my heart pounded in my head. I couldn't hear anything but the blood flowing in my brain. I felt every impact as my feet collided with the concrete. By the time I was standing in front of a familiar blue house, my lungs were ready to cave in. I was bent over gasping for air, trying to slow my heartbeat down.

The door in front of me opened to show a surprised looking Scott. He helped me walk into the kitchen and gave me water.

"So you just spend the night at boy's house? That's no big deal to you?"

I was caught off guard by his questions. They sounded more like accusations.

"I've slept over at Xavier's before. But I am truly sorry for doing it without your permission, I didn't intend to."

"I'm sure sleeping isn't all you do."

"Excuse me?" I asked, offended.

"Anyone who spends the night at a boys and comes back with a hickey like that is a slut," He rushed out angered. His words stung. I wasn't a slut. I realized that Xavier gave me a hickey when he was kissing my neck in the mirror yesterday.

"I'm not a slut." I spoke confidently. My voice was stronger than I felt.

He merely scoffed.

I wasn't about to listen to his ridicule and name-calling. This wasn't elementary school and he wasn't a playground bully.

So I left.

I turned away from him to hide the hurt I felt. I walked out the front door, ignoring his yelling towards me.

I texted Xavier to pick me up ASAP.

Within 15 minutes, a familiar black car was pulled up in front of me, and Xavier was holding the passenger-side door open for me to get in. I did, and he closed the door softly behind me, getting in his own side.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but at this point I didn't care. I needed to get out of my own head, away from dangerous thoughts.

The radio playing softly was the only sound between us. Xavier waited for me to talk, instead of pushing me.

"He called me a slut for staying with you last night." I explained.

His grip on the wheel tightened until his fingers were white. I was worried his fingers would snap.

"Well we can make the best of this day anyways. You're nota slut. You're my girl. I love you." He grinned adorably. I wanted to poke his cute little dimples.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The beach" he grinned mischievously.

I squealed in response, not able to contain my excitement. I loved beach. Xavier knew this. Our first date was on the beach because I told him it was my favorite.

We finally pulled up to the peach and I got out almost instantly. Xavier was by my side within seconds, carrying the stuff I held.

We walked together, holding hands down the sunny beach.