Chapter 20: sandcastles

Delaney

Delaney

The warm sand relieved my stress as I curled my small toes in it. Xavier and I held hands and laid back, soaking up the sun.

Once I was sure that my skin would be red and crispy tomorrow, I got up, pulling Xavier up with me.

We walked along the edge, feeling the salt water cover our feet. Suddenly, I got an idea. I squeezed Xavier's hand and jumped up, squealing.

"We should build a sandcastle! Can we?!"

Xavier chuckled at my enthusiasm, starring down at me cutely.

"Sure, cupcake!" He started pulling me along as he skipped to a new area.

We sat down in the sand and got to work. We had no tools, so the castle wasn't peek perfection. We build multiple layers, which were all unsteady. When we were finished, we stepped back to enjoy, only for our masterpiece to crumble apart.

"Ugh" I groaned in disappointment. Xavier chuckled. I slapped his chest playfully and gave him the sternest glare I could muster.

"You look like an angry puppy." He gave me a smug grin. I huffed and walked away.

He followed behind me, laughing loudly. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we walked together for a while. The peace was comfortable.

"So, what did he actually say to you?" Xavier broke the silence.

"He said that if I spent the night at your house so easily I must be letting you fuck me. Then pointed out this" I gestured to the hickey he left on my neck.

"Ouch. Sorry, baby. I didn't think."

"It's okay. Not a big deal" I assured him. I hugged his torso and kept walking beside him.

The sky was getting darker. It was filled with dark blue and pink blended together.

I decided that it was time to go home and face what was waiting for me.

"We should head back, it's getting late." I muttered reluctantly.

He agreed. We walked the distance back to his car and got in. We rolled all of the windows down and blasted the music. We sung every song as loudly as possible the whole way back. The wind blew through my hair, tangling it into a huge nest.

I kept my eyes mostly trained on Xavier, watching him drive and sing. His smile was contagious, especially with his dimples there. His eyes twinkled when he was happy. He had an awful singing voice, but never refused to belt out tunes when we drove together.

I was pretty sure it had something to do with my irresistible charm.

That or the fact that I annoyed him until he caved.

We pulled into the driveway of the blue house I'd become so familiar with. I saw the time was 8:00pm, but I didn't make a move to get out. Eventually, Xavier got out and opened my door like a gentleman.