Chapter 29: milkshakes

Delaney

Delaney

The second his eyes landed on me, I saw them light up. My breath caught in my throat at how much I missed him. I hadn't realized it until that moment how much I needed him in my life. Xavier was my other half, but sometimes I needed someone to talk to who wasn't him.

It's hard to talk to someone about themselves.

I grinned up at Josh. I darted up the porch stairs I was on, and took off running. I jumped into his arms, grateful for his quick reflexes so that I didn't end up on the ground.

I slung my arms around his neck and squeezed him like a viper. He latched on to me just as eagerly, spinning us in circles until I was ready to vomit.

Literally.

I squirmed in his arms until he set me down, confused at my actions. I turned and hurled into his bush. I felt hands holding my hair back and rubbing my back softly.

When I finished covering his bush in vomit, I wiped my mouth off and turned around. I took the water Ryan handed me. I spit out the water, trying to get rid of the taste.

"You good, kiddo?" Josh asked, still rubbing my back.

"Mhmm" I hummed, looking down embarrassed.

"So—umm, yeah. We should probably talk. I brought milkshakes!" I stuttered, trying to erase my embarrassment.

"Ooh, milkshakes!" Ryan cheered like a little kid.

"Uh, I didn't get you one, sorry Ry." I muttered awkwardly while Josh laughed at his brother. I laughed at his pouting face.

"Come on, Kiddo, lets go inside and get caught up." He wrapped his arm around me and drug me inside.

I looked around at the familiar house, taking in the sent of wood and spice. I could hear men yelling from different rooms—the usual.

I walked casually in peace with Josh. When we made it to the kitchen, I sat the milkshakes on the beautiful marble countertop and took a seat on one of the stools. Josh sat beside me, grabbing a straw.

"Chocolate, my favorite. Thanks munchkin." He pinched my cheek. I swatted his hand away, laughing at his nicknames. It's always kiddo or munchkin—I wasn't even 100% certain he knew my actual name.

"So where are you staying now?" He started the conversation carefully.

"I live with a nice family now—the Thomas'. They're pretty great. Minus two of the sons, who I think want to kill me." I grabbed a straw and stuck in into my milkshake.

I grabbed the last milkshake and put it in the freezer so that it wasn't melted by the time I got to Mikey. A soggy milkshake won't work.

"They treat you well? You're safe?" He interrogated.