Chapter 46: see you again

The drive to the airport was silent. Not a word passed between the two of us–neither sure what to say.

I kept my grip tightly on the wheel, my knuckles so pressed they looked ready to snap. My eyes were focused on the road.

But, by the time we reached the busy parking lot, I couldn't remember driving the last twenty minutes. Luckily we got there without incident.

"You ready?" I turned to face Xavier's anxious face. He tried to put on a brave mask, and maybe to others he looked fearless, but to the person who'd been by his side the last four years, I knew him better than he knew himself.

I took his large hand in my smaller ones.

"I'm going to be right here when you get back," I promised, looking him square in the eye to make sure he understood.

He squeezed my hands in return before letting them go and reaching for his door handle.

We intertwined our hands as we made our way to where he was suppose to go.

Soldiers stood with their families surrounding them.

Husbands

Wives

Fathers

Mothers

Sisters

Brothers

Children

They formed an almost protective wall around their loved one, as if they were trying to protect them from the danger they were going to face.

Xavier's family had already said their goodbyes yesterday–they didn't think they could handle watching him leave.

So, here I stood. Being his family. His support.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry. I wanted to be strong for him. So that he knew I'd be okay while he was gone.

I would be waiting here when he got back. There were no other options.

He was my best friend. My soulmate.

"Private King," a deep voice called, signaling for Xavier.

We turned to see the group of men and women leaving.

This was it.

Would this be the last time I ever saw him?

The very thought tore my heart to pieces.

"I love you so much. You better some home to me," I whispered hoarsely, trying to hold back my tears at the thought of never being in his arms again.

"I love you too, sweetheart. This isn't goodbye,"

Our lips met in a promise–to meet again soon.

I savored the memory of his body pressed against mine. Each beat of time that passed knocked into my like a punching bag.

With one last opportunity, I wrapped my arms around his torso, relinquishing in the safety his hug provided. It was irreplaceable.

I hesitantly unwrapped myself as I heard the final call.

We didn't say anything—no last words. We both had an understanding. An unspoken communication passed between us.

We'd see each other again.

I watched him walk away–his uniform fitting and professional. I knew things would be different the next time we saw each other.

In whatever problems came with our reunion, we'd work through them.

When I couldn't see his body anymore, I turned,

And walked away.

Away from my home, because he just left to fight. And I was damn proud.

I got into my car and sat there, trying to figure out where to go from here.

I pulled out my phone and scrolled down my contacts, searching for the familiar number.

"Hey, can I come over?"

"Delaney? Yeah. Yeah, come over," they spluttered out urgently as if I was going to hang up at any second.

I hung up without responding. I turned the keys and listened to my car purr to life.

I made my way through the familiar roads.

Finally I reached my destination.

It was time.

I looked up, admiring one more time.

It was a light blue color, with classy windows that accented it. There were flowers planted out front, and what looked like a pool and fire pit out in the backyard. It looked lively but also well-kept.

Just being here again made my heart clench.

This was the first place I was able to call home. The first people who gave me a family.

Scott–the first man I had considered a father after my own personal superhero had left the earth. He made me feel so important. So loved. The day that he gave me the adoption papers was one of the most special days of my life.

Nathan. Sweet, overprotective Nathan. He took me out to get to know me. Included me and made me feel welcomed–always. He ended up reuniting me with Mikey.

Luke, Mr. over-worker. He never acted weird around me. Probably too busy studying. But, I admired his work ethic. His drive to be what he wanted. Even after the nasty things he said to me while I was recovering, I knew in my heart that he would do great things one day.

Carter. My favorite artist. It meant the world to me when he shared his dreams and goals–when he trusted me with what he held closest to his heart. To protect and nourish his passion.

Colton and Grayson. Well, to be frank, I would never miss them. I could always forgive what they did to me. But what they took from me, what they did to my baby–i could never see past. Hopefully one day I would be strong enough to forgive them. For my little angel.

Dakota, my young friend. He was shy and nervous, but when he opened up, he was the most beautiful of souls. I cherished the nights he would cry on my shoulder, confide in my with his darkest fears and thoughts. I treasured the feeling that came with the trust he had put in me.

And little Benjamin. There wasn't much to say bad about the cutie. He was pure and innocent in a world that would tear that to pieces. He lit up a room in its darkest hours.

With tears in my eyes thinking about the people I once considered my people, I rang the doorbell and stepped back just like the first time.

After a few minutes, it opened, revealing the familiar face I needed to see.

"Delaney,"

"Scott"

_____________________

AUTHORS NOTE

I'm so grateful for all the support this book has gotten so far! Thank you!

Don't forget to comment, like, share!

How do you feel about the Thomas boys?