Chapter 37: healing

Delaney

Delaney

"So how are you feeling about the future? Anxious?"

I sat back and listened to Dr. Sims ask her usual open-ended questions from my place on the stiff couch.

I picked at my fingers thinking about everything that'd had happened recently. And everything yet to come.

Healing and growth.

The keys to a good life were learning from what life gave me, and using it to better the future. Sticking with those that I loved. Weathering through the storms was what it took to not let the world pull me under the waves of misery tossed my way.

I sighed, thinking about life philosophies was draining.

"Well Xavier and I are working on everything. The relationship has definitely been tested. We're better than we were a few weeks ago, though. We've been trying to take everything one day at a time. Especially with us both going off to the base soon."

Things were rough for a while after we lost the baby. I was crying all the time and Xavier would be angrier. We would get into it over something stupid and end up saying stuff we both regretted.

Eventually it got so bad that we had to take a break. We decided to take things slow and rebuild our relationship. Dates and flirting.

She hummed and looked down at her notes.

"Can you talk about what made you decide to enlist?" She asked politely, testing her boundaries.

I huffed stubbornly.

"I wanted to feel like I was doing something to make a difference. I want my dad to look down at me and be proud. I want my baby to be looking down at me and seeing that I'm doing something with my life. Helping people. I'm making a difference." I explained.

I kept my eyes trained on a loose thread that had been picked from the couch. It looked to have been picked and pulled over the years. The wear on the couch was obvious. It carried all of the traumas of the people who sat there.

I was pulled from my observing by Dr. Sims clearing her throat. Obviously I had spaced out and missed something.

Oops.

"What are you and Xavier going to do? I mean you're both stationed together." She prodded.

"Hmm. We've talked about it. We're not going to be working together at all. My training is as an Army medic. His is just basic Army training. We won't be far, but not close enough to interfere with our work. I'm a field medic, so it's different."