Chapter 5: reunited hearts

Delaney

Delaney

The sunlight burned my skin and eyes early the next morning. I groaned and pulled my blanket over my head, trying to get back to sleep.

"GOOD MORNING SISTER!" Screamed Nathan, as he threw his heavy body on top of mine, suffocating me.

"Get off!" I gasped out, trying to move him.

"Nope. You need to get up. Breakfast is ready and today is your first day at this school." He jumped up and walked out of my room.

I hesitantly got up and got a new dress out. It's a checkered black and white tank top dress. I wore a white long sleeve shirt under it.

After I showered and got dressed, I did my makeup, hair and brushed my teeth.

I grabbed my new bag and phone, then headed down the stairs.

"Good morning." A voice startled me. My breathing sped up and my hands got clammy. I took deep breaths to calm down.

No need to panic over stupid stuff, Delaney.

Once my breathing was under control, I turned and saw Colton.

"Hi." I responded breathlessly.

He seemed worried for a second before moving past me into the kitchen.

I followed, seeing a box of cereal sitting on the counter. I was pretty sure I could have it, but if foster care taught me anything, it's to always be careful if everything.

Learned that lesson the hard way, too many times.

I decided that I didn't need breakfast, and moved towards the door to walk to school. I already knew where it was so I should be fine.

When I opened the door, I heard Carter speak behind me.

"Hey you can ride with us, we're all going to the same place." He suggested.

"No it's okay, it's really no problem." I assured him.

"Come on, I can't let you walk." He tried to convince me.

"Fine." I sighed.

I walked out the door and sat in Carter's car, in the back.

...

15 minutes later, the doors opened and the boys got in. Carter was in the drivers seat, Colton in the passengers seat, and Grayson got in the back beside me.

I was usually nervous going to a new school after being placed, because there's a certain stigma around being a foster kid that I couldn't escape.

Here, though, I could be myself. I didn't have to worry about people hurting me, or touching me inappropriately. I didn't have to worry about watching my own back because Xavier was here.

My other half. The one that made me smile and laugh. The one that gave me hugs when I'm sad.

A smile light up my face without permission. I tried hiding my excitement but my leg started bouncing faster the closer we got.

"Hey I know you're nervous but there's no reason to be. We'll all help you out and we've got your back." Grayson told me.

"Yeah, thanks." I muttered. I really appreciated it, but I couldn't focus being so close to the school.

Next thing I knew, we were parked in the lot, surrounded by a whole lot full of different cars.

"Come get one of us if you need anything." Carter told me.

I nodded my head in agreement.

We got out of the car and walked through the parking lot, earning curious looks from people. I heard murmurs of everyone around us.

"Why is she with them? One girl scoffed.

She doesn't even know me.

More whispers ran through the crowds of people as we entered the building. I ignored them, too happy to care.

"Laney!" I heard my favorite voice yell from down the hallway. I turned and saw him.

Xavier King. My best friend, soulmate, and most importantly, boyfriend.

He stood at 6'3" tall. His arms were muscly and had a few tattoos. His hair was light brown and fluffy. He had bright grey eyes that stuck out. They were beautiful. His amazing skin and perfect teeth are so hot they make me jealous.

At least I get to look at him all the time. Poor him, stuck staring at me.

With my 5'9" height and overly skinny figure, I didn't compare to his beauty. My honey hair that flowed down my back was my best feature. Along with my light blue eyes.

"EEK!" I squeak out excitedly, not having words to describe my feelings. I took of from my spot between the Thomas brothers.

Sprinting down the hall, I earned even more weird looks from bystanders.

When I was within his reach, Xavier wrapped with huge arms around my small frame and spun me around.

"Put me down!" I ordered with a laugh.

He sat me back on the ground safely. We stood in the middle of the hallway staring at each other. No words were needed. We always understood each other.

I reached up on my tippy-toes and placed my lips on his.

It took a while for me to be able to kiss him again, so we both knew how much that little action meant.

He never left me, but helped me to grow and recover.

We pulled back and grinned simultaneously.

"Hey shortie!" I heard a voice as he greeted me. I knew it was Jacob, Xavier's best friend, who I was also friends with. I'd seen a few of the other boys standing with him before, but some were unfamiliar.

I was pulled into a tight hug by Jacob.

"Hey Jakey." I greeted him with the nickname he hated, giving him a wide, innocent look.

He groaned but didn't respond.

Xavier introduced some of his other friends. There was Dylan and Matt, and some other names I didn't care enough to remember.

I'f they were important I would know.

I had first period with Xavier and Jacob. It was an art class.

I had enough credits to graduate so I was just taking enjoyable classes.

I wanted to go to college with Xavier. We'd share an apartment. I would study to be a psychologist, cop, follow in dad's footsteps with the military.

Xavier also had a few ideas, but both of us wanted to stay close. His family was here. They took me in as one of them when I had no one.

...

The bell rang and students filled in the classroom. Time to begin one hell of a day.