Chapter 9: deep conversations

Delaney

Delaney

I heard voices discussing something from the kitchen when I walked through the front door of the Thomas household.

Figuring it was a family matter, I made my way up stairs. I was almost to the top when a voice stopped me.

"Delaney can you come here for a moment please?" Maya asked from behind me.

I reluctantly nodded and walked back down the stairs.

The whole family, except for Benji and Dakota, was sitting in the living room. When I got there, all eyes turned to me.

"Umm..hey?" I greeted nervously. Why did they need me?

They're probably tired of you already. Get ready to move again.

"Where have you been?" Scott asked me.

"At Xavier's. Is that a probably? Sorry if it is." I responded nervously.

"Not a problem as long as you're safe. How long have you been friends with him?" Maya asked.

"Oh we became friends 4 years ago and we've been dating for over 2." I stated proudly.

Maya awed. "That's so sweet. Can I meet him?" She asked nicely.

"Sure I'll invite him over soon." I gave her a small smile.

"Anyways... we wanted to talk about some other stuff." Scott said. I looked over at Nathan nervously. He was the one asking about my night terrors yesterday.

"Listen, we heard you screaming the other night. Nathan said you were having a panic attack. Are you okay?" Scott continued.

"I'm fine. Sorry if I woke you guys up. I get them some times." I apologized.

"I told you it was alright. We're just worried about you." Nathan butted in.

"You're family now. We take care of each other." Luke said. The other boys nodded in agreement.

Family?

"You haven't even known me a week." I rebutted.

"Doesn't matter."

"I'm just a foster kid. I'll be in another one after this one. And probably another after that. I'm my own family." I said, sad about the fact.

Scott got up from his seat and came to stand in front of me. He raised his hand up, and on instinct, thinking he was going to hit me, I flinched away.

Everyone stopped moving. Scott's hand stayed frozen in the air.

It was then I realized he was probably going to wipe the tears off my face that I didn't even realize were there.

"Sorry." I muttered sheepishly.

That seemed to snap Scott back to reality. He brought his hand down to my face and gently wiped my tears.