Epilogue

Two years later

Two years later

The rain pattered against the soggy soil. It collected in the holes, sealing it closed to the top with a murky abbess.

Hot tears felt like they burned my flesh as they mixed with the cool days rain against my cheeks. It was like a never ending flow.

The tear, thought, weren't of sadness. They were of closure. An ending to a beautiful story. My story.

I collected myself with a deep breath, letting it out in a heavy sigh.

Then, I treaded through the rows of stones.

Each one held someone's story.

How do you summarize ones entire life—their every accomplishment or everyone they've loved—in just a few words on a stone?

I looked through the rows as I found the one I was looking for.

I took a deep breath, enjoying the quietness I needed to gather my thoughts.

I crouched down beside the stone, running my wet fingers over the slippery stone, skimming the letters on it. My tears started to get quieter, like I was at peace right in this moment.

"You have always been one of the biggest influences in my life. You taught me how to live, how to be kind and love other people. You were my family when I really needed it. And I'll never be able to tell you how grateful I am for everything you've ever done for me. My life has been so much better being closer to you once again. You were by my side, holding my hand in the hospital when I was grieving. You've never judged me, instead you listened and helped me to grow. I loved you before I even understood what it meant to love,"

My sobs broke the speech, making it hard to understand what I was saying.

"I'm sorry I couldn't speak at your funeral for that long. You know, with me crying in front of everyone and all. Gosh, I wish you were here to tell me everything was going to be alright. I wish you were here to celebrate today with me. I hope you're proud," I wiped the snot and tears from my moist cheeks onto my also damp sleeves.

How was someone meant to move on from the loss of someone who had such a big impact on their life?

To go on with their everyday lives without such a key person.

It seemed impossible.

I tried to stand up, but I was shaking and crying so hard that my legs felt like jelly. I almost instantly dropped, almost knocking my head onto the gravestone.

Luckily, strong arms wrapped around my waist just in time, holding me to their chest.

"Careful there, sweetheart. You're okay," he cooed into my ear softly.

"Thank you for being my favorite uncle, my second father, when I really needed you, Mikey. I love you," I said to the sky, hoping he could hear me.