Chapter 4 ~ This isn't freedom, this is fear

Steve's POV

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago." Brock Rumlow debriefs us as we fly across the Indian Ocean.

"Any demands?" I ask.

"Billion and a half." Rumlow answers.

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's SHIELD's."

"So it's not off-course. It's trespassing." I say, not even trying to hide how annoyed I am at the moment as I look at Natasha who is standing next to me.

"I'm sure they have a good reason." Nat defends.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor," I grumble.

"Relax. It's not that complicated."

I turn my attention back to Rumlow. "How many pirates," I ask him.

"Twenty-five. Top mercs led by this guy." Rumlow drags his fingers across the screen in front of us and pulls up a photo of their leader. "Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties." Rumlow informs us.

"Hostages?"

"Uh... mostly techs. One officer." Rumlow pulls up an image of a man. "Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" I mutter to myself. "Alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you swept aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Let's move." I order.

"STRIKE you heard the Cap. Gear up." Rumlow tells his team.

As we get ready I make sure that the coms work just in case. "Secure channel seven." I talk into my wrist communicator.

"Seven secure." Nat answers. "Did you do anything fun Saturday night?" She asks me.

"(Y/n) was out with Roy and all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no, not really," I answer her.

"Coming up on the drop zone, Cap." The pilot warns me on the radio.

I push the button to open the door to the jet.

"You know if you ask Kristen out, from Statistics, she'd probably say yes," Nat tells me.

"That's why I don't ask," I yell over the wind as I put my helmet on and adjust it.

"Too shy, or too scared?"

"Too busy! Plus (Y/n) hates her!" I yell over my shoulder before jumping out of the jet.

I land in the ocean and manage to climb onto the ship by using the chain from the anchor. I hop onto the ship as a guard passes me. I sneak up behind him, putting him in a chokehold and covering his mouth with my hand so he won't call for help. I place him softly on the ground and then run the opposite way he was going. I run into two guys and immediately throw my shield at one guy, the shield then ricochets off the side of the ship and makes the other guy fall as I slide under the wires in my way. I grab my shield and then throw it again at the other guy, knocking him unconscious before putting the shield on my back. I continue to run and kick a guy overboard that's in my way. His two partners try to come after me but I sweep one guy's legs, causing him to fall on his face and the other guy goes to punch me, but I block it and throw him over my shoulder before punching him in the face. The other guy gets up and I do a spinning kick to his face. I run through the halls of the ship, pushing one guy over the edge. I somersault over to the next guy, standing up and punching him in the face as soon as he turned to look at me.