Chapter 5 ~ Surprises

"Take this back to the apartment and while you're there grab one of my hoodies and a baseball cap." Steve hands me his shield. We are in the parking garage of the Triskelion, he changed out of his uniform and into some regular clothes.

I nod and run to the apartment, putting his shield down and grabbing the hoodie and baseball cap. I come back to the parking garage within seconds.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"It's a surprise." He smiles as he hops on his motorcycle. I hop on behind him and hold on tight.

Fifteen minutes later we arrive at the Smithsonian Museum. Both of us hop off the motorcycle.

"Put that on." Steve indicates to the hoodie while he takes the baseball cap.

I do as he says. His hoodie comes down to my knees and when I pull the hood over my head, it blocks my whole view. Oversized hoodies are awesome though.

I pull the back a bit so I can see. Steve leads the way inside and goes to an exhibit dedicated to Captain America.

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice." The Smithsonian Narrator says as we enter the exhibit.

"Holy sugar balls!" I exclaim, trying not to curse since Steve's around. My eyes examine the exhibit in front of me in excitement. I don't even try to stop myself from fangirling. "This is so cool!"

Steve chuckles at my reaction. "I knew you'd like it." He says as we start walking through the place.

I spot a cool exhibit and grab Steve's hand, dragging him to the exhibit with me. As I drag him over I tell him, "Do you really think baseball caps and oversized hoodies are good disguises because they're not." I whisper to Steve.

"It got us in here undetected right?" Steve sasses as we stop in front of the exhibit. I roll my eyes.

We listen in on what the narrator has to say.

"Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super-soldier." The narrator says at the exhibition.

"That was you?!" I quietly ask him in disbelief as I look at the pre-serum photo.

"Yup. Scrawny kid from Brooklyn that wanted to fight in a war."

"Oh my Thor you were like anorexic type scrawny. You look like you needed a sandwich." I say, still staring at the photo. Steve laughs.

I look up at Steve. I look over to see a boy recognized him. Steve puts his finger to his lips indicating for the boy to stay quiet and the boy nods. He looks at me, recognizing me too so I smile at him, giving him a little wave and he waves back.

"Told you so," I say as we make our way to an old footage of him.

"It was one kid." He argues.

"So far."

We make our way to a display where there are mannequins with costumes of Steve's old commando squad.

"Battle-tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission, taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division." The narrator says.

I look at the suits in awe. I so wanna touch every single one of those suits. I see Steve starting to walk over to another display so I follow.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers we're inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country." The narrator says.