Chapter 35 ~ Beautiful

"First day of senior year! Time to get up!" Dad comes into my room and pulls the covers off of me and opens the curtains so the small rays of the sunrise shine on my face.

I groan, turn to lay on my stomach, and pull the covers over my head. "Five more minutes," I mutter to him.

"You said that five minutes ago, now let's go!" Dad says, pulling the covers off of me once more and starts dragging me out of the bed.

"No!" I whine as I try to fight back with little effort. My body hits the floor and Dad lets go of me. I don't even open my eyes. I just lay there on the floor, preparing to go back to sleep.

I hear Dad sigh. "I told you not to stay up late playing video games with Tony and Clint."

"So worth it though," I mumble.

I feel Dad pick me up and place me on my feet. He keeps his hands on my shoulders to steady me as I rub my eyes and yawn. I groan as I speed away to my bathroom, stumbling all over the place and even running into the sink. I get ready within seconds and meet Dad where I left him at, right by my bed. The two of us walk into the kitchen in silence as I search the fridge for food.

Tony waltzes in, looking like crap. He has visible dark circles under his eyes and his eyes are bloodshot red. In all honesty he looks like he hasn't slept in days and like complete shit.

"Someone looks like shit," I say as I grab a plum from the fridge and close the door behind me.

"Language!" Dad yells and smacks the back of my head.

I roll my eyes at him as I rub my head and look at Tony. "Why are you up so early?"

"Couldn't sleep," Tony mumbles and walks over to the coffee machine. He smells of grease and oil so I assume he's been in his workshop all night and lost track of time like usual.

"Tony, I thought I told you and Clint to make sure (Y/n) goes to bed on time." Dad scolds the tiresome man that probably wasn't listening to a word he is saying.

"That was your first mistake, Capsicle," Tony says as he pours the coffee into a mug. "Trusting Clint and me to get a kid to bed on time."

I smirk. "He's got a point," I say and take a huge bite of my plum. "So technically this is all your fault." I motion my index finger towards Dad. Tony puts an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him as he nods in agreement.

Dad rolls his eyes. "Whatever. Let's go or you'll be late." He says as he walks past the both of us and to the elevator.

"Bye Tony," I say as I hug the man and give him a kiss on the cheek. I finish the plum in my hand and throw the seed away.

"See ya, Squirt. Try not to get into any trouble!" Tony calls after me as I walk to the elevator where Dad is waiting for me.

"No promises. Besides, trouble tends to find me." I say, stepping into the elevator and stand beside Dad. Tony gives me a final wave before the elevator door closes. Dad and I stand in the elevator in silence as we descend slowly to the garage. Tony really needs to make this elevator faster. "Can I ask why you're driving me to school?" I ask, breaking the silence between us.

"Parents normally drive their kids to school." Dad shrugs. "I don't mind doing it. Gives me more time with you." He pinches my cheek.

I smile and swat his hand away. "Nothing about us is normal."

Dad nods in agreement. "This is the closest to normal we'll get." He says.

The elevator suddenly stops and the lights go off, leaving us in darkness.