Chapter 48 ~ I'll be there

I'm currently in my room lying on my bed as I stare up at the ceiling, thinking intuitively.

"So how does it feel? To spend all that time, all that effort... and, to see it fail so spectacularly?"

The tower is quiet without anybody here. I miss Dad already. I miss everybody and how things used to be before all of this.

"Did it?"

I could go bother Vision or Roy, but they probably want to be left alone. Tony is helping Rhodey walk once again because apparently his legs were paralyzed when he fell from the sky.

I was allowed back into the tower and to live my life as it was before but there were some consequences. One, I'm under house arrest. I can't go anywhere but to school and this tower. Two, I have to wear this cuff on my ankle which dampens my powers. Three, I think I really fucked up my relationship with Tony. He hasn't spoken to me after dealing with Everett Ross and compromising with him as he tried to plead my case. I don't blame him though since I never told him the truth about his parents.

I've spent my time mostly in my room due to my injuries which won't heal quickly without my powers. I have a few broken ribs so my movement is limited but that doesn't stop me.

"Little Rogers, please come to the main room. Mr. Stark requires your presence." FRIDAY's voice sounds from my room.

I struggle to get up and make my way to where Tony is. I see Tony sitting in a chair, an open package on the table and an envelope in his hand.

"You really have FRIDAY calling me Little Rogers now too?" I ask him as I approach his seat. He only smirks. "What's that?" I ask, looking at the envelope in his hand.

"A letter. It came in the mail." He answers and holds out the letter to me.

I take it and immediately recognize Dad's handwriting. The envelope says '(Y/n)' on the front of it. I look up at Tony.

"Tony I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wanted to... but I didn't know how you would react. Dad thought it was best not to tell you. I know you're probably still mad at me but I can't take this anymore. I miss your jokes and the way you—" I stop as I see Tony laughing. "Why are you laughing?"

"It's okay (Y/n), really. I'm not mad anymore. Just stop rambling, alright?" He chuckles.

I smile and lunge at him, hugging him tightly. When we pull away we both look at our individual letters and start reading them.

'(Y/n), let me start off by saying I'm sorry. I know you're probably suffering the consequences of my choices right now, but I know you're strong and will get through this. When I first woke up from the ice I was alone. I thought my best friend was gone and the love of my life grew old and had a life of her own. Then I met you that day you stopped Loki from striking me. When I realized you were just a kid I made it my mission to protect you and we became really close. You became a friend I could rely on and trust. You helped me realize that I can start over. I can have a life here. That's why I adopted you after what happened to your parents. I'm glad you're back at the compound with Tony because he's going to need someone to look after him. I know it's going to be tough on you but I know you're strong and you'll get through it. I love you so much sweetheart and I promise one day we'll meet again.'

I smile at the letter, tears threatening to spill once more. Tony takes the package box and I catch a glimpse of the name addressed on the box.

"'Tony Stank'?" I read out loud with a smile across my face.

Tony rolls his eyes. "Shut up." He dumps the remaining contents out of the package. It's a phone.

"Priority call from Secretary Ross. There's been a breach at the Raft prison." FRIDAY tells us.

Tony and I share a glance. "Dad," I whisper.

"Yeah, put him through," Tony says to FRIDAY.

"Tony, we have a problem." Secretary Ross' voice comes through on the phone.

"Ah, please hold," Tony says.

"No. Don't..." Secretary Ross says, but Tony presses a button on the phone, putting him on hold.

I look back at the letter and read the rest.

'So, no matter what. I promise you, if you need us, if you need me, I'll be there.'

Two more chapters until this book is over!

—ASE715