Chapter 6 ~ 1:03 a.m.

It's late when Steve and I make it back to the apartment. I could have ran back home, but I wanted to ride with Steve. We walk into the apartment and up the stairs. Steve was about to put the key to our apartment door in, but I elbow him in the side. Our neighbor, a pretty young blond chick named Kate, is checking Steve out while she's talking on the phone. She smiles at us.

"That's so sweet. That is so nice. Hey. I gotta go, though. Okay, bye." She says to whoever is on the phone. She turns to us. "My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac." We smile at her. "Yeah."

Steve notices her with her laundry basket. "Hey, if you want... if you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement." He offers her.

"Oh, yeah? What's it cost?"

"A cup of coffee?"

"Thank you, but um... I already have a load in downstairs, and, uh... you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I'm just finished orientation in the infectious diseases ward, so."

"Ah, well, I'll keep my distance."

"Well hopefully not too far." Steve nods as he turns to open the apartment door. "Oh, and I think you left your stereo on."

Steve and I share a look.

"Oh. Right, thank you."

"Yeah." She goes down the stairs as we watch her.

Steve turns to me. "Did you leave the stereo on?"

"I don't even touch that thing, but can we talk about the fact that she likes you!" I squeal.

"No... no she's just being friendly." Poor Steve, doesn't know anything about women.

"She was definitely checking you out. She likes you and you like her too."

"Let's talk about that after we deal with who's inside first," Steve says as he eyes the door suspiciously. We hear the stereo playing inside.

"I can phase us through the door," I suggest.

Steve shakes his head. "You go through the front, I'll take the window. They'll see you coming, but won't expect me."

I nod as he runs off. I hold out my hand with the ring on it. My suit comes out and I only grab my repulsors, putting everything else back in the ring. I slide the gloves on and then phase through the door. I cautiously walk forward in the apartment with my hands up and ready to shoot. The stereo is playing 'It's Been a Long, Long Time'. I walk into the living room, but who I see is very unexpected.

"What the hell," I say as I see Fury casually sitting on our couch in the dark. I lower my hands down.

Steve comes in around the corner with his shield in hand. When he sees its Fury he lowers his shield and leans against the wall. I speed into the kitchen to get some plums and speed back out to where they are. Fury and Steve give me a look.

"What, I'm hungry," I say as I take a bite into the plum.

"You're always hungry," Steve says. He turns his attention to Fury. "I don't remember giving you a key."

He groans as he sits up. "You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out." Um since when was he married.

"Didn't know you were married," Steve says as if reading my thoughts.

"A lot of things you don't know about me."

"You got that right," I say.

Steve nods and adds on to what I say. "I know, Nick. That's the problem." Steve turns on the light. I almost gasp but Steve puts a hand over my mouth as Fury signals us to be silent. He was all busted up.