Chapter 41 ~ Can't touch this

Location: London

The funeral is being held at a church in London. Sam came along with us to the funeral to pay his respects. The weather is very dreary but it matches the mood for this occasion. Since Dad had such a close relationship with Peggy he scored Sam and I seats upfront with him. He doesn't sit with us at first because he was asked to carry her casket down the aisle.

I look around to see the church filled with mourners. Peggy impacted a lot of people's lives and they all came together to pay their respects to her. Those who are able to stand did and the choir of children sing as Dad and five others carry the casket, draped with a Union Jack, down the aisle. His eyes are red and puffy from crying and it was clear he was too. There's an altar in front of us with a candle burning by her framed photograph in black and white. Peggy's wearing her military uniform and the label reads 'Margaret Peggy Carter'. Once Dad and the other five people that are carrying the casket, set it down, they take their seats. Dad sits on the end of the first row on the right, then it's me, then Sam. I sit in between the two grown men.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." The priest announces.

I'm looking at the ground, finding my feet very interesting and I see Dad doing the same. We don't see who walks up to the podium. I haven't known Peggy like Dad did, but funerals make me sad and I hate crying in front of people.

Sam nudges me and I look at him as he gestures to the podium. I look up to see Agent 13, aka our neighbor Kate from D.C., step up to the podium. I nudge Dad and he looks up to see Sharon, who's glancing at him, but quickly looks away as she takes a deep breath.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." Sharon states. Sam and I look over at Dad as he takes a surprised breath. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She looks directly at Dad and me when she says that. Well that explains why she never told us. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, you move.'"

After that there were closing words from the pastor, but as soon as the ceremony ended, Dad stood up. "I'm going to stay behind." Sam and I nod as he walks over to the casket. I know he's gonna wait until everyone clears out.

Sam and I wait for him out front on the church steps. It's drizzling, but a little rain won't hurt us. We don't plan on leaving him alone and we sit there in case he changes his mind too. Unexpectedly, Natasha shows up and walks right up to us.

"Why are you guys sitting in the rain?" She asks as she approaches us.

"We didn't want to leave him alone." Sam answers.

"You do realize he's inside then, right?"

"Why are you here?" I ask her.

"The same reason you guys are sitting here." Aww, Nat's being sentimental. "And I'd come to pay my respects." Sam and I nod.

"Who else signed?" I ask as I look up at the redhead.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Figured," Sam says.

"What about Clint?" I ask.

"Retired." She answers.

"Wanda?"