Chapter 18 ~ Birthday

The Fourth of July, Independence Day. The day we declared independence from Great Britain. A day where we Americans party hard, have barbecues and watch the fireworks in the sky at night. It's also a special someone's birthday today too.

"Happy Birthday Dad!" I scream as I tackle him on his bed. That's one way to wake someone up.

He groans as his eyes flutter open. He looks at me with those bright blue eyes of his and smiles at me warmly as I sit on his stomach.

"Thank you." He says with a big smile on his face.

"So today makes you 96? Right? I think my math is correct." I say, matching his big smile.

"Yup."

"You look good for a 96-year-old man." I laugh.

"Alright." He says, rolling his eyes. He pushes me off of him and I fall off the bed and onto the floor.

I sit up from where I'm at on the floor, laughing and Dad laughs too. He goes to help me up, but I sweep his feet and he falls down, but on top of me which I didn't want to happen.

I continue laughing, "Get your old ass off of me. You're crushing me." My voice is muffled due to his body on my face.

He gets up, still laughing. I get up too and he smacks the back of my head. "My birthday wish is for you to stop cursing." He says with that big smile of his.

"That's not gonna happen, but I can stop for today," I say.

He rolls his eyes. "Fine."

"Go change," I tell him and exit his room.

I walk down the hall to the living room just as the elevator opens. Natasha and Thor step out.

"Nat! Thor!" I yell and run to them. I hug Natasha first and then Thor. "I didn't think you guys would be coming back for a few more months."

"Well I took some time to think, but now I'm back and ready for some action." Natasha answers.

"And I came to help find Loki's scepter. I also heard it was the Captain's birthday today." Thor says.

"Oh right. Fourth of July, how could I forget." Natasha slaps her palm on her forehead.

"Fourth of July?" Thor questions.

"Oh it's a holiday people in America celebrate. It's the day we declared independence from England and became an independent nation." I answer.

"What does one do on this holiday?"

"Party hard."

Just then Tony, Bruce, and Clint come into the living room.

"Thor, Natasha!" Tony smiles in greeting as they make their way to us.

Roy comes into the living room too. He slept in a spare room the night before. Ever since school let out he's been coming here often and his parents are chill about it. His hair is sticking up all over the place and he still has sleep in his eyes. He comes over to the circle.

"Hey everyone," Roy says tiredly and yawns. He rubs his eyes tiredly.

"You look like shit," I tell him.

"Feel like it too." He mumbles and yawns once again.

"Everyone listen up." Tony gets our attention and lowers his voice a bit. "We all know it's the Fourth of July, meaning it's Capsicle's birthday." We all nod, already knowing this information. "I decided to do a little birthday prank on him..."

"STARK!" I hear Dad yell from his room.

"Tony what did you do?" I ask, looking at the man standing next to me.