Chapter 14 ~ Remember your promise to me

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers." I hear Dad say over the intercom as I limp my way to the stairs and up them.

After that whole elevator scene, I'm not gonna use it. Plus they most likely didn't fix it after Dad cut the wires. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth." Dad continues with his speech as I make my way up the stairs.

I hear footsteps and somebody runs into me, knocking me on my butt. I aim my repulsors ready to shoot, but look up to see it's Sam.

"Sam!" I say, happy to see him.

"(Y/n)? I was just about to come and get you." Sam helps me to my feet. "What happened?"

"Found my own way out like you guys did," I say as he helps me up the stairs. "But to sum it up I sang my way out, hot-wired a car, and drove past traffic to get here."

"SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." Dad continues over the intercom.

"You sang your way out?" Sam asks.

"Long story."

"Come on." He guides me up the stairs.

We burst through a door. Dad was talking into a microphone and Maria Hill is beside him on a computer. Where's Natasha though? Dad pauses to look at me for any sign of injury. He already knows my leg is broken but he still stares at the cast on it. Probably because it should've already been healed by now but the collar prevented me from healing fast.

"The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Dad finishes his speech.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam speaks up and I laugh.

Dad comes over to me and engulfs me into a hug. "Did they hurt you?" He asks as we pull away.

"Rumlow did but he got what he deserved," I say with a smile. Dad nods.

"Sam lets go," Dad says to him.

"Where are you guys going?" I ask.

"To stop the launch."

"I want to help."

"(Y/n) you can barely walk, how do you expect to help?"

"I wasn't asking. And I escaped from HYDRA with only one leg."

"No. Please just stay here. You can help Maria." Dad engulfs me into another hug. "I can't afford to lose you."

I sigh. "Fine, you win," I say as we pull away.

He kisses my forehead. "I'll be back." He turns to Sam. "Let's go."

They run out of the room. Sam playfully punches my arm and runs after Dad before I could even hit him back. I go over to Maria and sit down next to where she is. She hands me an earpiece which I put in my ear.

"So I clearly missed a lot," I say as I stare at the computer screens with her.

"Yeah, so did I." She says, indicating to my broken knee.