Chapter 9: Camping in the Wild

Theo

By the time I got back to the room, my classmates were just finishing up. I sat on my seat and listened to music while waiting for the dismissal. 

My mind suddenly drifted away. I slumped on my chair as 'The One That Got Away' played on my phone. I hummed along it when suddenly, my headphone was unplugged from my ears. I swiveled my attention to Wei, who had her brow raised.

"Where were you?" She asked as I unplugged the other headphone.

I looked around before answering. "The bathroom?" I lied.

"For thirty minutes?" She said, her arms crossed as she looked me straight in the eye.

I furrowed my brows as I shook my head. "I had to do my business? School bathrooms are really hard to work with, Wei." 

She squinted her eyes at me. "Are you... lying?" She asked, my eyes widening a little.

"No?"

"I'll find out Willshire." She said threateningly. 

I puffed my cheeks, organizing my things in my bag. There's really no point why they had to know where I was going, unless they're suspicious I was doing something illegal. It's not like they're my parents or something. 

I finished organizing my stuff and I was just playing around in my phone before Mrs. Lopez stood in the front, grabbing our attention.

"The school has set up a camp day for everyone this coming weekend!" Mrs. Lopez announced with a tender smile which made the room erupt into whispers. "It's optional but there's extra points for it." She added which sealed my decision. 

I'm coming for the extra points. I added the camp to my schedule. 

"Call time is at 6 am, so you should be here before 7, mind this that it is an overnight camp so we will give you all a permit, and you have to have it signed by your parents for clarification." A few gasps and whispered erupted again in our room.

"I'm definitely not gonna be able to go." I heard Mika's voice. 

Her parents were always strict, she can't even stay past 5 pm outside. So when there's a school project, she always can't come. Good thing my parents let me. I can never imagine not being able to stay past 5. How would I have a fling? Actually, even if I can stay past 5, I can't fling. I'll be a virgin for the rest of my life.

After the announcement, we were dismissed for the day.

...

Thursday

We were gathered for the camp's orientation, it usually lasted for an hour and a half, just talking about the reminders and rules. I fanned myself as the room got crowded. We were chatting about our day, mostly about how unnecessary some school subjects are, my friends relate to me a lot. 

I was checking my Instagram, when the principals voice boomed. And it started. I would usually catch Hunter looking at me, then he would smile. I frowned with a crunch of my eye. 

He was doing it again. It's frustrating but nonetheless, I was amused, because duh, your crush, staring at you. 

But all of the signs he's giving me is making me confused. He has a girlfriend and if that girlfriend finds out I have a crush on him, she'd kill me especially I'm friends with Hunter, I have more chances of stealing him. I'd be paranoid too. 

I just hope Hunter is not an asshole that just befriended me because it was a dare. 

An hour into the orientation, I fell asleep in the middle of everything.