Chapter 10: Gummies

Chapter 10: Gummies

Theo

I walked along the side of the lake, where there's only a few people. It was a few steps away from the campsite so I wouldn't get lost.

I had a few thoughts in my mind, like, if you become hurt after punching yourself, does that make you weak or strong? Why would you punch yourself anyway? 

I dismissed the dumb question and decided to sit down on one of the big rocks. Staring over the lake, it was a beautiful sight, to be honest, on the other side of the lake was fields, grasses and flowers stretching out. It was still two in the noon so it's still pretty hot, but the area I was sitting on was secluded with trees. Warm but windy.

"I was looking for you." A familiar voice sounded from behind me. I turned around to find Cielo there, holding something.

"Oh hey! What's that?" Eyeing the thing he was holding. 

He hands me a plastic bag containing... gummies. My eyes widened. 

"What the hell Cielo!" I screamed. He flinched a little as I ran up to him, hugging him very tightly.

"Um, nice way to say thank you!" He laughed and hugged me back. 

Two reasons I was freaking out about gummies, one, It's been a whole year I haven't eaten some, my mom restricted me because my teeth was literally dying, and now I can eat some because the dentist told me my teeth's fine. And two, I would die for gummies.

"Where'd you get this?" I asked him as I pulled away, jumping over and over.

He shrugged. "I bought some from a nearby town here."

"Oh my god, you didn't have to!" I said to him.

"Doesn't matter." He said.

I pulled him to the rock I was sitting on. He joined me as I opened the huge bag of delicious treats, chewing the sour gummy worm. I offered him to which he graciously accepted, we had a really good conversation about things in our lives and the camp. Things that were not connected to each other. 

Silence fell over us, the usual sound of nature replacing it.

"Hey Cielo. Have you ever had a girlfriend before? Since you said you'd try to keep it private." I asked him as I dusted off the sugar from my hands, its sound echoing through the water.

He squinted his eyes. "Not necessarily a girlfriend, but we had a mutual understanding."

I nodded. "Okay, and how's the experience?"

"Well, it was fun, I had someone to open up to and to have late night talks." He said as he ate another gummy worm.

"Um, there's this thing called 'friends'?"

"Well... yeah but it's different." He finished eating. He also dusted his hands off. Staring over the lake, the lake reflecting on his hazel eyes. 

Sometimes, I imagine myself with Cielo, but, he's not interested in men and it's a little weird. I mean, we've been bestfriends since 2nd grade. He always protected me from bullies, and everyone either feared him or wanted to befriend him. And since then, we've been bestfriends. We always come over to each other's houses, help each other in times of need.

I looked to my left to admire the trees. Sometimes, when you get bored or something, you notice the littlest things. I puffed my cheeks when suddenly, a finger poked it. I turned to Cielo, who had a worried look on his face.

"What's wrong?" He asked me, running a hand through his wavy brown hair. I looked at the ground, then back up to him.

"Nothing." I smiled reassuringly.