Chapter 37: The Council

Theo

"I withdraw from the election."

The seven of us stared at her, our mouths hanging open in shock while she just stood straight and determined.

"Y-You want to withdraw from the competition? But--"

"Mrs. Mendoza, my withdrawal will not be a loss but rather to open a spot..." She then gestured to me. "A spot for Theo. I give my position to Mr. Willshire." She continued.

"What?! But this is not allowed! He--"

"He did nothing wrong, Mrs. Mendoza. Nothing in the rules says that it's forbidden." Mr. Martinez defended.

Mr. Pablo looked up from the book he was currently reading. "But it does say in the rules that this needs to be decided by vote."

"That's settled then. We are ready to give our votes tomorrow, for now, the three of you can go home." Mr. Martinez dismissed us and the three of us exited the room.

"I'll see you later, Theo. I'm so happy you're still in the competition but I really have to go." Rhea waved me goodbye to which I returned with a forced smile.

When I've made sure that Rhea is gone, I immediately turned on Shane, every inch of my face in confusion. "What's this? What are you doing?"

She raised a brow at me, crossing her arms over her chest. "A 'thank you' would be nice."

"No! I know you enough to know that you're not just doing this 'cause you had a change of heart!"

She matched my glare. "Well, what if I am?" She clasped back. She then frowned, furrowing her brows as she pinched the bridge of her nose. "Look, I heard you and that Reign girl talking about how this is so important to you, that it's the only chance your family can... do whatever. I thought you were just doing this because you wanted to be popular... But I was wrong." She admitted.

I considered her thoughtfully for a while before letting a small smile form on my lips. "Well... thank you and I hope this pays off."

She gave me the first ever genuine smile I'd seen from her. "I hope so too."

An awkward silence fell over us, neither one of us attempting to break it until she sighed.

"Well. I'll see you later Willshire. I hope you succeed... or whatever." She said before giving me an acknowledging nod and leaving me alone.

I also walked out of there, confusion still eating me.

...

I was sitting with my friends at lunch, explaining to them about what happened the day before.

"She was actually nice, I never thought I'd see it. She also protected me from Rod and we beat the heck out of him." I narrated with a grin.

Mal gave me a tight hug, cradling me back and forth. "The Council will for sure support you. We may have a chance after all!"

"I'm happy for you guys. I'm sure you'll win now." Masha said with a smile.

I scrunched my nose as I shook my head. "I don't really want to jinx it. I'm just so happy and I actually have something to celebrate this coming Winter Formal!" I clapped happily, dancing excitedly on my seat.

"Yeah, I'm pretty excited for Winter Formal. I didn't attend last year because I was so sick." Mal said with a slight frown.

I laid my head on Mal's shoulder as we resumed eating when Rhea approached our table.